Endeavor vs Resolute ??

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Jim Koza

Endeavor vs Resolute ??

Post by Jim Koza »

Dear Kayaking Friends,

I recently finished a CLC Shearwater strip built kayak, and found it too be too "tippy" for me. It was 22.5 wide, with a hard chined v hull. It's a nice, fast boat... but too sporty for me... always leaning. It was not fun to paddle... always leaning and always nervous.

I am going to sell this newly built kayak and want to build another. I am considering either the Endeavor, or the Resolute. Any Ideas? I am 5'9", and weigh 182 lbs. I am an intermediate type kayaker/boater.... doing mostly flat water day trips in the midwest. I do not do rolls and I plan on hopefully never tipping over. I am thinking about the Resolute... to get something more relaxing, and stable. But I don't want to build a slow "tub." I want a boat that will move smoothly, with a nice straight glide, and.... that will let me relax on calm waters. I want smooth and easy, but not slow and sluggish. I do not do long trips or overnight camping. Purely "rec" boating, but I don't want something sluggish. Endeavor looks good, but.... tippy? Will I have to lean alot? Just build the Resolute and hope it's not too slow?

Got any ideas? Anyone out there have either or both of these boats? Paddled both? What do you think?

Thanks!

Jim
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have built several Resolutes but not the Endeavour. The Resolute is a very stable craft and it is not sluggish at all. I have built a few for clients and they are extremely satisfied with them. The only time I have heard of anyone tipping a Resolute was either when getting in or out of the craft and caused by poor technique or lack of attention. I definitely recommend the Resolute to anyone who wants a stable kayak that tracks very well and maneouvers nicely. It has great "glide".
Jim Koza

Post by Jim Koza »

Glen.... Thanks for your advice. I am going to re-read my Kayakcraft book then order up the Resolute plans. Unless I hear from others about the Endeavor, this probably will be my next boat. Thanks. Jim
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Jim,

I have never built nor paddled a Resolute (but I would like to...). You might want to surf around this website, as there are some comments on paddling both units from people with more paddling experience than I.

I will give you my comments on the Endeavour that I built. I am not a novice paddleer, but my experience (especially in performing sea kayaks) is limited. I am 6' 0" and 185 lbs and have paddled protected ocean, open lakes, and fished with my Endeavour - I love the Endeavour that I built. It feels tender on initial stability, but the secondary stability is outstanding. I find that using the secondary stabillity, it makes it suitable for excellent manoeuvring. The only comment I have is that it requires significant correction stokes in aft quartering wind/waves.

Given your comments about tippy/leaning, you might want to try an Endeavour before going that route.

Let us know what you decide - good luck.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Jim Koza

Post by Jim Koza »

Dear Snowman,

Thanks for your comments about the "tender" initial stability. That is helpful. I will probably just build the Resolute.... if I can talk my wife into another winter of sawdust and wood chips in the house!

Jim
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Keep us posted - happy building!

Snowman
Snowman back East