Looking for a reasonably short solo, stability not important

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Mark Fisher

Looking for a reasonably short solo, stability not important

Post by Mark Fisher »

I'm considering building my first wood boat. I'm leaning toward a S&G kayak right now, but I also expect to build a second boat which would be a solo canoe. Today I paddle an Epic 18 kayak which is narrow and fast, but too much boat for my 150lb body. It is also a carbon fiber boat which I am always worried about damaging. I paddle mostly in Lake Michigan (4-6 foot waves is a big day). I owned a blackhawk Nighthawk solo canoe which was incredibly fun, but it was about the most unstable beast I've ever paddled....I definitely regret selling it. The most likely candidate for the kayak looks like the One Ocean Kayaks Cirrus LT....fairly short and narrow. If I choose a canoe to build first, the closest thing I could find is the Bear Mountain Freedom 15 solo. It may still be a little longer than I am looking for. My Nighthawk was only 12 feet. I don't expect to camp in it and I don't wheigh all that much. Any experience in either of these boats? Other boats to recommend?

I'm leaning toward the Cirrus simply since it looks like it should be faster to assemble....I'm not sure if that is really true....and I could then sell my Epic and have enough money to buy the materials for hte canoe!
Thanks -- Mark
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

Mark,

I built a Carrying Place Canoe and Boatworks Chemaunis as a solo. The canoe is 12'.

Kurt

Last edited by Kurt Loup on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I'm using the Huron as a solo canoe... it's fairly fast and the stability is a good compromise in speed and comfort (more comfort = more initial stabiliity = wider hull = slower speed). It's still stable enough to fish from comfortably and to paddle sitting, although more suited to the kneeling paddler.

The Huron's main drawback is the small size. I'm six feet and 230 pounds and cramming a full load of gear into the Huron like I used to do with a wider 16' Prospector isn't possible sometimes.
Mark Fisher

Post by Mark Fisher »

I looked over at Carrying Place Canoe and Boatworks and their Half Moon might be a good choice for me. I don't expect to load up the canoe, I'm not very big, and I like a narrow boat! Thanks for the lead.

Mark