Freedom 15 or 17???

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
vann evans

Freedom 15 or 17???

Post by vann evans »

Hello,
I am a new member that has been lurking for a long time. I have been investigating all types and models of strippers for about a year. I have just finished expanding my workshop in order to have a place to build our boat. I am an avid woodworker an canoer that has wanted to build a stripper for over 20 years. Finally, I AM going to do so!!

My wife and I have been paddling together since 1982, so experience(read stability)is not an issue. we currently have 4 canoes(solo and tandem whitewater and 1 tandem flatwater). We want a contemporary canoe primarily for day trips-bird watching, casual recreation and paddling. We may occasionally use it as a camping/tripper, but not frequently.

Our current flatwater boat is a Dagger Reflection in ABS(15'6"). We are quite used to it and feel very comfortable with it. I am somewhat hesitant to build a 17" boat because of its length, volume and weight. I know it will be faster, hold more weight but also harder to turn or manuever.

I am in a quandry---I don't want to spend the time and money to build a beautiful boat that I don't like---

So, I am wondering if anyone has a Freedom 15 or Freedom 17 that I could paddle. I live in North Carolina and am happy to travel to meet you. I would certainly appreciate any advice form owners or others.

Thank you in advance,
Vann Evans
sedges

comments

Post by sedges »

If you are not planning to race or have a great desire for fast athletic travel then you should use the shortest hull over 15 feet that is designed to carry you and your gear weight. The 17 foot hull may not be faster as there will be more frictional resistance. Also, if the hull is too big for your weight than you will be fighting the wind all the time. Even a breeze is going to make paddling harder. If you increase length to have the capacity for extended tripping then the canoe will not be as much fun for the activities you do the most, day trips.

If you have been comfortable with the Dagger Reflection you have been paddling then the Freedom 15 would be my choice. If you are interested in extended camping trips I would suggest looking into light and ultra light backpacking gearand lighten your outfit instead of enlarging your boat!

What is your combined weight?
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Our combined weight is about 310(me 175,she 135). That still gives us 140 pounds up to the maximum listed capacity. I doubt that we would ever carry that much gear. We were recently sea kayaking for 6 days in Canada and had about 135 pounds of gear including water.

I am inclined toward the 15 because of manuverability and weight, but would love to paddle one before I commit.

Still taking notes and listening..........

Thanks
Vann Evans
sedges

reflection and freedom

Post by sedges »

I think it would be a good choice. If you have been comfortable in the Dagger Reflection you may find the Freedom 15 feels similar. If I recall the Reflection is mildly asymmetrical and has rocker, more forward than back. The Reflection may have a bit flatter bottom.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Vann,

My choice would be the Freedom 17, especially if day-tripping is the main use, because the increased paddling efficiency and added speed would increase the daily range possible. For a tripping canoe, things can be more relaxed, and daily range may not be as important, but for day trips, you have to get there and back in the same day and that can make the extra speed valuable.

It doesn't sound like portaging will be an issue so the lower weight of the 15 may not be important.

The Freedom 17 paddles very well going solo if you are a kneeling paddler and install a kneeling thwart... some comments on the factory-built version that may be relevant below:
With slightly more rocker than most modern canoes, designer Steve Killing has managed to gain back the turning ability found in traditional canoe shapes without sacrificing the speed of the modern hull. It is ideally suited for wilderness trips and is surprisingly easy for experienced solo paddling.

Designer Steve Killing doesn't mind showing his bias - this is his favourite of the Freedom line. His family started out with a Tripper, used for one week canoe trips with two adults and one child in the middle. As the boys grew up, and the thrill of riding in the middle with the packs wore thin, they shifted to two canoes - one adult and one child in each.
http://www.bluewatercanoes.com/F17Tripper.htm

The 17 is marketed in fiberglass and kevlar in factory-built versions in several places in the states, you might be able to find a location for a test-paddle from the dealers list below... good luck!

http://scottcanoe.com/6_dealers/index_02.html#US