Here we go again

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
geordie

Here we go again

Post by geordie »

Hi all, good to be back after two years.

I need some honest criticism here, and then some suggestions.
Problem- My first canoe a Redbird, was chosen from the heart (what a pretty lady) and because I’m a boy (I wanted a big one). I now need a canoe that I can handle by my self in moving and flat water with an occasional load. I would like to try poling as well. 15 ft would be ideal for portage and loading on the roof rack.

Now this is where I need honesty please. I have never mastered handling the Redbird bird solo, either Canadian style or sitting backwards on the front seat. Am I being lazy, is the Redbird a bit of a pig to handle solo, is she a bit long to handle solo. I built the ends to full height, and yes, they do catch the wind (but they look so nice). I am talking proper solo paddling here, with a normal paddle.

Anyway, I have grown up now, a need a smaller canoe, looks can be sacrificed, solo handling is most important, I will take a passenger sometimes, it must be a conventional design. I would consider asymmetrical, but where do I place the seat for optimal solo paddling in the correct direction.
The Bobs Special and the Prospector Ranger look OK, but am I perhaps missing something more suitable?

Is there a how to do it book on solo handling with a single paddle or should I just get a life and practice a bit more.

Regards
Geordie STBBA (Soon to be building again)
Yesterday I paddled
Today I’m sore
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

About 6 months ago, I finished a Freedom-15. I built a Redbird first and then decided to build something smaller to paddle solo. I built it with 2 seats because I often times paddle with my son so I needed a 2nd seat. I should have built the stern seat so it was movable for adjusting for solo paddling. It sounds like you are headed down a similar path. Right now, I'm pondering building the Freedom Solo because it would really paddle well as a solo canoe. the Freedom-15 isn't the "looker" that the Redbird is (and never will be). It also has a wide beam and being fairly short, isn't a quick craft. Good luck with your decision and your next build.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rick

Post by Rick »

I'm happy with the Huron as a solo, although some might say it's tippy. You get used to it pretty fast, though.

The Huron might be a bit tight going tandem because of the narrowness. The Bob's or the Ranger could be more stable, roomier options.

Becky Mason has a good video on how to paddle solo, there are also courses offered at various places. Good luck!