Identify or match something close?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
RiverLightDesign

Identify or match something close?

Post by RiverLightDesign »

Hi, I'm putting a little workshop together at my home and I'm going to start building my first canoe with my father's help. I've been looking for whatever designs I can find trying to decide what to make. I'd like to build something that performs and looks something like the all-glass canoe I have now but maybe a little bigger to hold more gear. Here's a picture of it if anyone can identify the design. I got it from a campground just after I graduated high-school. I believe they were making them at the place so it's not a commercially sold design. It's a just a hair over 16' long. The thwarts and seats have been shifted around a few times over the years. I take it down the Saco a few times every summer and it works great in slow rivers but out on lakes even a light breeze makes it tough to steer.

Thanks to anyone that replies!!!

mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Welcome aboard RiverLightDesign,

I cannot identify the canoe in the picture but it is a beautiful design. With the recurve it looks very much like the Redbird. The Redbird is longer which usually equates to more load capacity. I have a Redbird and am delighted with it. It's fast, easy to paddle, carries big loads and has beautiful lines. Check it out and see what you think.

Here's a link:http://www.bearmountainboats.com/online ... ucts_id=43
RiverLightDesign

Post by RiverLightDesign »

Holy smokes it's almost dead on! The only real difference is the sides where mine has a sort of ridging to it. Is something like that even possible with a stripper? Thanks for the great suggestion. I really like that one. I can attest to the extra speed you get in this design too. Most of my friends tend to rent old towns when we head up to Maine and they always grumble about how little effort I have to put into it and how tough it is for them to keep up.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right but here's what I think. If you add a slight offset in the same areas of the hull as designed into your canoe, fading in gently, it is most certainly possible to re-create those same lines in a cedar strip canoe. Also, I think the Redbird is a great starting point. Go ahead, build it. One thing I am sure of that everyone will agree with, the Redbird is an awesome canoe. I've chatted with Redbird builders all over the country and some outside the US. It's like a brotherhood. I've had builders tell me that they have three other boats, all the shape of a canoe, but only one "real" canoe, the Redbird. Everyone that has a Redbird is a happy paddler. Won't you join us?

:eyebrows