redbird vs freedom vs prospector

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
TKLUS

redbird vs freedom vs prospector

Post by TKLUS »

Hello,

I am getting ready to start building my first canoe. It will be for day trips at the lake and camping trips with my wife and 2 kids. I absolutely love the shape of the red bird but I have heard that it might be a bit tippy. and I want my wife to be excited about going out and not scared. we have both kayaked a little bit. so is the freedom going to be a more stable boat or maybe the prospector. is there realy that much of a difference in these 3 boats as far as stability? I would hate to put all this time and money in to a boat that looks amazing but is no fun for all of us to take out.

thanks for your time

Tim
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You can compare the various designs at this link: http://www.bearmountainboats.com/compare_designs.htm

Though the Redbird is the least stable of the mentionned canoes, it isn't really that much lower and it can haul a heavier load. I am sure you would feel comfortable in it with a bit of practice and care in getting in and out and controlling body movements in the canoe.
Paddle on the Crow

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

Tim,
When you say "Camping with the wife and kids", do you mean "canoe camping" (Meaning loading it up with tent a gear and paddling to your campsite) or do you mean just taking the canoe with when you go camping?

POTC
TKLUS

Post by TKLUS »

Hey,
Probably just taking it camping with us

thanks
Tim
Paddle on the Crow

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

If you read my post titled "Built a Prospector- Now what?" you will find that we love our 16' Pospector, but am at the point of needing something a little more roomy and "Family freindly". I don't have any experience with the others, so keep researching, but I will say that whatever you build, it will be a great experience for you!

One other note about the Prospector, it is great for manuvering, handles big waves great and can haul a ton of gear, (We travel pretty heavy when we canoe camp.) but it does like to wander a bit in the wind with a light load. I have a feeling the Redbird might too, due to the high ends. The Freedom is starting to appeal to me more, even though it doesn't have that "Traditional" look that I like. (But agian, I don't know anything about any of them but the Prospector)

Good Luck!
POTC
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

My experience is close to what Paddle on the Crow said but with the Redbird instead of the others. My wife and I are by no means experienced paddlers and we've never felt tippy in our Redbird. What I would suggest is to post a thread to see if there are any builders in your area that would be willing to take you out for a spin in each of these designs. That way you can see for yourself what it will paddle like before you build. I don't know how soon you want to start building but many of these designs will be hitting the water as soon as the weather breaks. If you are in or near Indiana I'll let you take my Redbird out for a spin.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I'm with mtpocket... test-paddle before building if there's any doubt.

Prospectors are popular and while they're not all identical, you might be able to rent one for a day from an outfitter to see if the stability suits you more or less. The Freedom 17 is also available for rent at times, but not very often, at least in this area.
It will be for day trips at the lake and camping trips with my wife and 2 kids.
With two adults and 1-2 kids, you might need a larger canoe, like the Nomad. The advantage of a larger canoe can be that they're more stable, especially when they're loaded down with people and gear. One solution for greater stability in any canoe is to paddle it loaded down with gear... this could help solve stability problems if there's a need for more comfort with tippy canoes.

Good luck!