Built a Prospector- Now What?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Paddle on the Crow

Built a Prospector- Now What?

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

Hey All,
I Built a 16' Prospector a few years ago and have the Itch to build another canoe. Here is what I know:

We primarily canoe in the Boundary Waters.

I would like to build a longer canoe so we have more room for our packs. (I also have to consider we have a small child and another one on the way)

We love the way the Prospector handles and how it "rolls" over the waves in higher winds.

I really like the looks of the Redbird (Traditional "Indian" look)

Admitidly, we were a liitle concerned when we took out the Prospector for the first time as it felt quite "Tippy", but we have since gotten used to it and figured it was because we were just used to our Grumman.

I have thought about "Streching" the Prospector, but hear there is a Nomad that is basically a longer version of the Prospctor?

When I built the Prospector I borrowed the forms from a friend of a freind who no longer has them, so regardless of what design I choose, I will be starting from scratch.

I am thinking of a Redbird but am a little concerned about the stability, as I noticed on the chart indicates that it is less stable than a Prospector.

Any suggestions on what might be a good fit for us, considering our situation?
How much more "tippy" is the Redbird verses the Prospector?
Any thoughts on the Nomad? How much do they weigh?
Any others?

I would also like any suggestions on which models we should avoid (Given our situation and use)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
POTC
sedges

Post by sedges »

I would suggest the Freedom 17' 9''. The big one! I have a similar hull designed by a friend and is a bit bigger. It is a very seaworthy canoe. Kids and parents get along well in it, because the kids aren't always being told to be still. They can roam around the boat at will. I know you like the traditional outline of the redbird and prospector, but it is just that, a profile. What happens near and below the waterline is what counts.

Green Valley also has a big tripper, the Quetico. I think it may even be a bit bigger then the Freedom 17-9, but very similar in shape.

http://www.greenval.com/quetico.html

Think big with two children. it will be more fun.

My main canoe is a prospector, and I love it, but the modern asymetrical hulls are so nice. I take that whenever the weather is iffy and water is rough or I've got a big load.
Paddle on the Crow

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

Do you by chance know how much they weigh?

Thanks,
POTC
sedges

Post by sedges »

Weight is going to depend on how you build it. What lay-up of glass you use, how you trim it out. There are lots of ways to shave off the pounds, and they can all be learned about here. I would say the Freedom 17-9 is going to be 55-75 pounds depending on how you build it. Of course shaving pounds also shaves strength, There is always a trade off.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

The Freedom 17-9 may be a good choice in a boat that performs well and is a bit bigger. If you choose to go big though, you might consider Gilpatrick's White Guide. 18.5' long, it should have room for a lot. However, I'm not certain I'd want to carry it over the portage.

http://gilgilpatrick.com/strip-canoe.html
http://www.newfound.com/whiteguide.htm

The approach I have taken with our family was to build a kayak (it's not that I built it specifically for family paddling, it just worked out that way). My wife paddles the kayak while I paddle the canoe with two young kids. Last spring I built a kid's kayak with outriggers so last summer the 6 year old paddled that on short excursions. Next summer, maybe she'll go a little farther before we switch to towing.

I think soon I should build a largish solo canoe, or a smallish tandem. Something that can be paddled with one parent and one of the kids, while the other parent and the other kid are in the other canoe. Then I should build the Freedom 17'9 to replace the fiberglass canoe that we currently use. Then I should build another solo canoe. Then another kayak. Then ...