Auto Cad Question

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Paddle on the Crow

Auto Cad Question

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

Hello,
I work in a cabinet shop and have access to a CNC router. My question is; does anyone have a .DXF or .DWG file for a Freedom 7' 9" or a Redbird? I thought it would save me some time building the forms. (It is for my personal project and I would not be using it for any kind of personal gain...except to save myself some time as I don't have much of it to spare these days) If someone has one, I would be willing to send you a few bucks for your time.

Thanks,
POTC
TKLUS

Post by TKLUS »

Hello,

I am currently plotting out the redbird stations and hope to have them done by the end of the week. but I am in the same boat as far as time goes :) when I get them done I can send you the .DXF files

Later
Tim
TKLUS

Post by TKLUS »

Hello again.

I am noticing that plotting the stations in autocad works OK but to get a nice fair curve from the numbers out of the book I think you will need to use a batten and draw them on paper. I am going to plot out all the points and draw polylines from each point and print them out full scale and then use a thin peice of wood to draw the fair curves and cut them out by hand. I tried smoothing the polylines but it doesn't seem to work out very good. unless you have a better idea.

Thanks
Tim
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Please be advised that IF you share a file containing the lines of a Bear Mountain Boats design, you are supposed to pay a royalty fee to Bear Mountain Boats.
TKLUS

Post by TKLUS »

I did not plan on charging this guy to plot the stations and if he has purchased the canoe craft book, would this still be a problem?

If so that is fine, I was just trying to help out :smile

Tim
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

In a case such as this I would say: do as your conscience dictates.
If you both have purchased Canoecraft, I guess one helping the other is ok.
Paddle on the Crow

Post by Paddle on the Crow »

Tim,
I do have "Canoecraft". However, I have decided to go with the Freedom 17' 9" and have purchased plans. which should be in the mail tomorrow. Thanks for the offer anyway, and good luck with the Redbird!

POTC
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

FWIW, I have plots for the redbird, freedom and bobs special. I'm not sure there is much effort to be saved by going the cnc route though, I suppose a little bit if you're efficient in kicking out nc code.

s
Barefoot Hiker

Electronic Formats?

Post by Barefoot Hiker »

I also have access to a CNC router and have often considered how easy it would be to cut sections out but the purist in me insists on using a bandsaw! Either way, I also have use of a plotter and could print sections full-scale on paper if a DXF or similar file format were available. To me, receiving a file electronically is preferable to having plans snail-mailed. I'm not sure how property rights would be protected other than the standard "terms of use" agreement and ones own conscience, but is this something that Bear Mountain has ever considered providing? :thinking
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

is this something that Bear Mountain has ever considered providing?
I don't think they have explored this possibility yet but I will speak to Joan about it.
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

As somebody who owns a 5' X 10' precision CNC router with dust collector and vacuum table that is now sitting idle, I imagine that I can't be the only one in these tough economic times. If the Bear Mountain folks would like some lapstrake boat kits or form kits made, I'd be happy to bid on the job.
xelecara

Re: Auto Cad Question

Post by xelecara »

What are the top CAD software's on the market.? I just want to know what software's I should be looking into studying. I've heard that AutoCAD in going the way of old fashion drafting.
Last edited by xelecara on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You might want to look into Free!Ship.
Kliff

Post by Kliff »

I've built exactly one cedar strip canoe, the Prospector-16. I created the station forms using a CNC router, and was extremely happy I did. To create the profiles, I converted the table of offsets to X-Y coordinates in an Excel Spreadsheet. Once you have these points, I imported them into Autodesk Inventor. One of the options is "create spline". Do this for HALF OF THE PROFILE- meaning one side of the form (think port or starboard side only). Then mirror it to create the other side. After creating the profile, I simply added a rectangle to the bottom, equal to the shear height. Delete (cut, trim, etc.) any interior lines so you only have the outer loop. This profile can then be imported into any CNC machine software that I'm aware of.

Here's the spreadsheet I created. Feel free to use it. It is for a Prospector-16, but it includes directions on how to use it for any design working from the table of offsets. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks Kliff, now if I just had access to a CNC .....

Brian