Prospector vs Nomad

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
unix_r_us

Prospector vs Nomad

Post by unix_r_us »

First off thanks for all the advice that's handed out on this board. I've been reading a lot of it for the past few days and it's clarified a lot of questions I had. Only a few more and then I'm going to order. :)

I'm trying to decide between building a Prospector and a Nomad as my first canoe. I've done a fair bit of canoeing and multi-day trips, but never built one. I like the style and capacity of the Prospector and Nomad, and while I like the idea of the bigger Nomad, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help answer.

The specs put the Prospector at 55-60 pounds, and the Nomad at 55-65 pounds. How heavy are they really? I know this depends on a lot, but a few real-life examples would be greatly appreciated :)

The Nomad is only 12 inches longer, but has a bow height that's almost six inches higher than the Prospector (19.25 vs 25). I can't visualize why it would be that much higher. Does it catch more wind than the Prospector? Does that extra height make it harder to handle, or easier, or not make a bit of difference?

Thanks!
mike
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

There is an error concerning the Prospector bow height, it is actually 25".
Rick

Post by Rick »

Does it catch more wind than the Prospector? Does that extra height make it harder to handle, or easier, or not make a bit of difference?

There may not be any difference in height, but the greater overall size of the Nomad can make it harder to paddle in a wind, if the extra volume isn't going to be used to load more gear on.

The 16' Prospector is a fairly high-volume canoe to begin with, known for being affected by wind. The larger version in the Nomad could make a great sailboat if it's lightly loaded.

:wink