Prospector 'Ranger' 15

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
bert304

Prospector 'Ranger' 15

Post by bert304 »

This is the canoe I was thinking of building. I would mostly be using the canoe for slow moving rivers( no Rapids ) and in the lakes around my area with my childern. The reason I picked this model is because the look of the canoe and it seems like a good all around canoe. What does everyone else think?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you have enough room for the children and respect the load weight limit it should be fine.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Since you wrote children, my guess is there will be three in the canoe at least with you paddlng. Fifteen feet might be a bit cramped, depending on everybody's size.

The easiest way to determine whether you'll have enough room for three along with any gear before going to all the work building a stripper is to rent a 15-footer and see how things work out on the water. Sixteen-foot canoes such as the Prospector are usually recommended for general-purpose use, and with two growing kids, seventeen feet might not be too large.
bert304

Post by bert304 »

I do have 3 childern but i do not think I will be taking all three at one time for a few years. The other consideration is the area I have to build is in the garage and it is only 19' by 19'. I have to keep it close to the wall to have room to do other jobs. Has anyone ever done a rolling strong back that can be moved?