Opinions on Freedom 17?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Ben

Opinions on Freedom 17?

Post by Ben »

Long time reader, first time poster here. I am getting ready to start my first canoe, and I think I have settled on the Freedom 17. However, I need some opinions from other F17 owners on whether or not it will fit my needs. Here are my most likely uses:

1) Solo paddling and fishing
2) Cruising with my wife and 3 year old
3) Camping trips in the BWCA with another person my size for 5-7days.

FWIW I weigh about 240, and may travel with another adult about my size. Together, with the weight of the canoe, we max out the recommended max load before adding in the 150#+ of camping gear. This is probably my main concern. I am also worried about stability with my son in the middle and my wife, who is a novice, in the bow. Is there a design that will better fit my needs?

Thanks!
Rick

Post by Rick »

1) Solo paddling and fishing
2) Cruising with my wife and 3 year old
3) Camping trips in the BWCA with another person my size for 5-7days.
You'll probably be able to do all three of those options, although (3), if the F17 is overloaded, might be compromised most... the F17 will sit lower in the water and although it'll be fast, turning won't be as easy as in a larger canoe. An overloaded canoe is riskier in wind and waves especially in cold water.

With option (1), going solo, you're probably aware that you'll need to add a kneeling thwart amidships so that you can keep the F17 properly trimmed. I'd sooner paddle a dedicated solo than have to use a kneeling thwart all day, but others find them comfortable enough. With a seat installed instead, paddling is done in a wide part of the canoe which doesn't make things too comfortable either.

I went with a traditional symmetrical design (Huron) rather than cope with a kneeling thwart. To paddle solo, it's paddled reversed with some gear up front to trim properly.

Maybe you can decide which of those three options you'll be doing most.... if tripping heavily loaded will be done most, you'll be better off with a larger canoe. If you'll be soloing and fishing more, then a more stable Prospector could be more suitable so you can sit and fish with greater stability, although it won't be as fast as the F17. But the F17 will still be fine going solo if the lower stability is OK along with the kneeling thwart.

The most serious shortcoming in canoes I've had is in the canoe not being able to carry enough gear when needed, so if all three options are needed equally, choose a larger canoe... it won't be cramped, it'll be more stable, and you'll still be able to solo it although wind will affect it more.... good luck!
Ben

Post by Ben »

I have actually been considering adding a smaller removable 3rd seat in front of the rear thwart to either kneel at or provide a seat for my 3 year old. As far as use, probably 1/2 of the canoe's use will be on trips. The least important to me is the solo fishing.

Would I be better off with a Freedom 17-9, a Winisk, or a Quetico?

Ideally, I would like good stability for family use, but I don't want a flat bottomed tub that I need to put 2 layers of fiberglass on to keep it from oil canning. Tracking is also important as much her life will be spent on lakes.
sedges

bigger

Post by sedges »

I would definitely suggest the Freedom 17-9 or the Quetico. Either would provide the capacity you need for the trips you mention. Both are very seaworthy. Your 3 year old could climb about in the boat at willand hang over the side and not make it feel tippy.

Both have shallow arch bottoms that shouldn't oil-can.

I might suggest a drop-in fixed seat rowing rig for solo use. I built one for my prospector and it works well when the wind comes up.

If there is a big difference in weight between you and your wife you will do well with a sliding front seat to achieve good trim for different bow paddlers
Ben

Post by Ben »

I see quite a few views, and few replies. Does that mean a consensus on the Freedom 17-9 or the Quetico? Honestly, my wife would rather have a kayak than a canoe, so that would probably be the 2010 project and also take care of my solo fishing use. I was at my sister in laws cabin tonight and realized I could potentially be paddling around twin 6 year olds as well. The bigger canoe starts to make more sense. Are there any other designs besides these two that I should consider? Right now I am leaning towards the 17-9.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I'd choose the larger Freedom as well, although I haven't tried any of the larger canoes. The Winisk and especially the Quetico are more heavily rockered which will make them turn more easily but can also reduce speed.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to go with the Freedom 17-9 for the first build.
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

HI Ben,

I think the larger Freedom will be fine. My strip Winisk is a great boat, and as mentioned, nice rocker for tuning such a big boat is a great feature. It is still plenty fast though and has excellent glide. I remember asking which large strip built boat would be faster a few years ago. As everyone loves the Redbird (a beauty but too low volume for me at the time), that was the consensus but I can't see it taking the winisk. The winisk is alo a good looking boat, if you haven't seen it, take a look at the boat on the greenval homepage here: www.greenval.com. I think the winisk would also just edge out the freedom 17' 9', but maybe not by much. I also think the larger freedom will have a bit more initial stability than the winisk, which is good for the family (although I haven't experienced any problems at all, its just something I hear time to time on boat building boards an looking at the plans, I think the 17' 9" freedom does look a bit more stable). The Quetico should have plenty of stability though.

Anyway, all moot now as you have chosen the larger freedom and I think you made a good choice. You can also bring your boat in at fairly light weight - if careful with trim dimensions, and your epoxy work, especially on the inside. My winisk is 58 lbs and has been through a lot of tough trips (could have made it even lighter but you are always a bit cautious on your first build). Make sure to search trough the forum for weight saving tips etc.

Good luck and have fun.

Moonman.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I ordered the plans tonight. The strongback is built, and I am milling the strips on Saturday. The hull will be a mix of WRC and Northern White Cedar with cherry trim. Thanks for all the advice! I am sure that I will have many more questions as the project progresses! :twisted evil