Venture vs Endeavour?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Gene Burreson

Venture vs Endeavour?

Post by Gene Burreson »

I have searched the forum, but don't see this specific question. I have a client who wants a kayak for use in the quiet waters of Chesapeake Bay. He is 6' tall and weighs 180 lbs. He wants a boat that he can easily handle by himself. I showed him my Endeavour, but he thinks it is a little too heavy. He asked about the 14' Venture, but I have no experience with it. The Bear Mountain study plans say it is for a paddler up to 140 lbs, so he is way over that. Does anyone have any experience with the Venture? Do you think the Venture would be too small?

Thanks,
Gene
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Venture is unstable on flat water. It comes to life in waves.

What is the weight of your Endeavour?
Gene Burreson

Post by Gene Burreson »

Glen,
Thanks. I'm not sure of the weight of my Endeavour. I'll weigh it tonight and let you know. I guess I could pay more attention to saving weight if he chooses the Endeavour.
Gene
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi Gene,
Given that this is a Bear Mountain Boats Forum, I don't want to say anything disparaging against Bear Mountain. They are great folk, but there are only so many boats that any one company can offer. Are the Bear Mountain kayak models the only boats that can be considered here? What about some of the wide array of offerings from Chesepeake Light Craft? Or those from Green Valley?
The folks on these forums are great for the building of all types of canoes & kayaks (and other boats too), not just the BM designs.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers,
Bryan
KenC

Post by KenC »

What is meant by "easily handle by himself"? I assume, since you bring up the weight of the kayak, that you are referring to the logistics of moving it from the garage onto the roof of the car, and then off the roof of the car again at the launch. Someone your friends size would have no difficulty "handling" an Endeavour on the water.

I paddle an Endeavour, which I think is about 48 lbs outfitted, and I almost always load and unload it from the car carrier by myself ... but then again, I am 6'5" and 220 lbs ... loading/unloading difficulty is proportional to the height of the roof rack ... it was dead simple back when we had a Honda Accord, because the roof rack was about at my belt height ... I now drive a truck, and the rails of the roof rack are about 6'7" above the ground ... on a windy day, a solo load can be quite difficult, but still doable.
willo

Post by willo »

I am a tall person but heavier then 180 you state. I find the venture to unstable and very cramped , in fact I have to sit on the floor. I can't compare to the endeavour since I have not finnished building it yet. Like Glen says they sre more stable in a chop. I was amazed at how easily my son could handle it in high waves and high wind.
Gene Burreson

Post by Gene Burreson »

Thanks to all who replied. Glen, my Endeavour weight 52 lbs, so a little on the heavy side, I guess. KenC, yes, I meant easily handle on land--on and off the racks--not on the water.

Gene
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

There are many kayaks designed for this paddler weight.

If his problem is loading and unloading, perhaps he should invest in a good roof rack system that simplifies these movements. There are racks with roller systems or side-loading racks available. Pricey items but might suit him well.