Freedom 17'9 vs E.M. White Guide 18'6

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
David_L

Freedom 17'9 vs E.M. White Guide 18'6

Post by David_L »

I plan on building my first canoe this winter and I am undecided as to which canoe I should build, the Freedom 17'9 or E.M. White Guide 18'6. I like the design and the functionality of both canoes. I plan on using it mostly on lakes and sometimes on a river.

Has anyone had any experiences with the E.M. White Guide 18'6?
willo

Post by willo »

Killing vs. Gilpatrick ... Killing wins , no race , go with the Freedom
Rick

Post by Rick »

Does the White have a flat bottom.... can't recall. I would not build a flat-bottomed canoe although some prefer the high initial stability and the poorer performance, esp in waves is overlooked.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

I built the White Guide in both it's 18.5' and 20' versions. The very bottom of the center molds are flat, and the bow and cheeks are very narrow, for a fine entry and exit point. When I built the 20 footer, I pulled in the sides from 41" to 36" by making the yoke and thwarts a little smaller, and using a couple of straps to hold them while the glue set.. This had the effect of adding a considerable amount of tumble home (read secondary stability), as well as adding a curve to the bottom of the hull. This has decreased the initial stability some, but not uncomfortably so.

The White Guide has no rocker, and it TRACKS! On the 20 footer,I added about 3" of rocker also,and I now have a huge canoe that I can actually turn! The trade off is a higher profile, which is a trademark of the White Guide anyway. It does get pushed around a bit in the wind, so if it is windy where you are, maybe you should consider the Freedom with it's flatter profile. I am willing to trade this off for what I consider to be a nicer looking canoe. I love the classic lines and would choose it again. My next canoe will be a Prospector, which shares the same look as the White's.
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
David_L

Post by David_L »

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go with the Freedom 17/9 and ordered the plans. I can't wait to start building it; it will be a great winter project.