Want to build a stripper sneakbox anyone have any ideas for

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Rod Koozmin

Want to build a stripper sneakbox anyone have any ideas for

Post by Rod Koozmin »

I had built two out of 1/4 plywood. The Glen L design( about 12-13 feet was really greal. You could row motor it (2-8 hp) and probally sail it well. It was low to the water and wasn't blown around like even a canoe. I've had it way out in rough water and it went through like a duck.

The Glen L design was hard chine and there was the problem. The chine rotted and there went the boat. I'd like to build a stripper sneak box. Some have. I think Mac McCarty built one and someone did to recreat a famous sneak box voyage.

I really liked the dimentions of the Glen L design perfectly. Stripper construction is perfect for sneakboxes. I've seen old ones in museams and they are carvel planked but too thin really for carvel so probally leaked. Anyway I'm tired of plywood.

I would like to build it light enough to put on top of the car and not have to fool with a trailer.. Maybe a fabric deck?

but if I try and build it by the Glen L plans I'm afraid of modifying it and ending up with a mess. I could round the hard chine with a compas making each station. Except the front which is kind of squared off .But I think a strip would make the turn

I can't find any plans for sneak boxes strip built. Though I don't know why? Any suggestions would be appreciated.I'd built a couple of stripper canoes so r BUt like to build another sneak box .-Rod
Rod Koozmin

still looking

Post by Rod Koozmin »

I contacted Mac McCarty now in a home and keeping sane making models but he says he has no suggestions other then the smithsoanian.

I guess I might just try and modify the Glen L plans.

I hope to build a small versitile and seaworthy little boat
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I am not very familiar with sneakboxes. Would it be anything like this:

If yes, I don't see why it couldn't be built with strip panels.

If it is different, could you post a pic or link so we can see what you are referring to?

Edited: I found this old design file: http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RowBoats/SneakBox
Rod Koozmin

Post by Rod Koozmin »

Ya that's very much what I am talking about. Here's the Glen L version. the photo shows over powering it from what the plans call for. I too did this with a eight horse power but had quirte a lot of fun with a 2 horse power and rowing it. It really rowed nicly. I now mostly want to use a electric motor or sail and I stillhave the 2.

As you can see it''s going to be challenging going around the chine, especially from the bow section. Sometimes I think a strip can transition. I built mine with a more open cockpit like in your photo. I think it's a neat litttle boat, not a canoe but it would have it's usefulness.

Once I had my wife and prospective inlaws in mine when they declined to rent a boat and suggested coming in mine.-Rod

.http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/sneakbox.html
Rod Koozmin

Post by Rod Koozmin »

I think yours is really more of a punt with a flat bottom. The original sneak boxes were carvel planked and all curves. The Glen L is a V.

I guess I could just try building a model with the aproximent dimentions and then take the station molds with a piece of lead and then blow them up. That might be a way to go. Any comments?

I tried to post on Wooden boat forum but it's been years and for some reason just couldn't get on-Rod.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you can't find a suitable design and would like to make your own, a model can provide you with a lot of information, good or bad.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I did a Google search for "sneakbox boats" and got several responses including this one: http://store.devlinboat.com/duckboatand ... plans.aspx
Rod Koozmin

Post by Rod Koozmin »

Yes Devlin designs. I had built the Cackler once but wanted to build one in strip.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Many designs can be adapted to the strip-build method.
bluedcanoed

Sneakboat

Post by bluedcanoed »

Go to http://www.duckboats.net for much info on boat design, plans, photos,etc.

I agree there are few plans around for strip-built duckboats, but I think its a great building method and many existing plans could be easily adopted.

Good luck

Bob

(I built the boat on Glen Smith's first post)