Narrowing down design options

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
stunruh

Narrowing down design options

Post by stunruh »

I'm looking into building my first strip canoe. I've been lurking around this forum for a couple months and I got my own copy of Canoecraft a couple weeks ago. So now I think its time for me to take the next step and select a plan to build.

A little relevent background: If I were to classify my level of canoeing experience, I would have to say I am slightly above beginner. I don't really know what kind of woodworking skills I have yet. My current canoe is a Wenonah Jensen 18 ultralight. Its 39lbs and super fast, so I'm pretty spoiled by it. As such, I would prefer that the design I select be fast. I forsee myself using the canoe I'm hoping to build on trips downriver of 3-5 days and I'm not expecting to be encountering any real rapids. I will also probably be using it some on local lakes. I haven't done any boating in the Gulf yet, and I'm not really planning to right now.

The first decision is whether to go with a solo or tandem design. I really like the idea of a solo canoe, but I haven't ruled out a tandem design, either. I'm hoping to build several eventually, but I have to start somewhere. I have narrowed down my mental list of designs to three: Freedom 15/16 solo, Freedom 17, and Freedom 17-9. I really like the modern look of the Freedom's.

The Freedom solo's look like a great design and is the one I'm leaning toward. My guess is that they would be pretty fast? If I settle on this plan, I would then need to decide wheter to go 15'3" or 16'2". I don't want to sacrifice maneuverability for length and capacity (my one gripe with my Jensen: its a beast to turn). I weigh about, so I don't think capacity would be an issue with either length. The Solo's "lower-than-average stability" doesn't bother me since my Jensen also has below-average initial stability. I think the hard chine looks neat and it would give the opportunity for some interesting accent strips.

The Freedom 17 looks like a very sleek boat. If I could build and use only one canoe, this may be it. Plus, it looks like many people also use this canoe as a solo. The only negative going against it is it may not have quite the gear capacity I would like when used tandem.

The Freedom 17-9 has increased capacity with what looks like would be a minimal or nonexistent decrease in speed. But, its bigger and heavier, and probably wouldn't solo as well.

Are my assumptions about these designs correct? Are there any other designs that I should be considering?

Steve
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

For a 15' or 15' 3" canoe you can get full length strips out of a 16' board. When I went shopping for lumber I was happy to find that at least at my Kansas lumber yard the 16' boards were much cheaper than longer boards. I wouldn't pick a design based on a single component's cost, but a shorter canoe can also be built in a smaller area and transported easier, etc. I don't know if any of those are factors for you.
Bill Robb

Post by Bill Robb »

I built a Freedom 17 primarily as tandem, and have not had any capacity problem with with big guys on a weeklong trip (including too much beverage).

But - I've also soloed it a few trips, and as easy as it was, it's making me plan a build of a second smaller canoe. I haven't yet decided whether to build a Freedom 15' solo, or a 16' Prospector that I can turn around and paddle from the stern. The only reason I would build the 16 footer, is that it give a little more versatility if I want to do do a two canoe trip. I mean, a solo boat is fairly specialized - it's for getting out there by yourself, (as intended!)

My 2 cents worth...

Bill Robb
Rick

Post by Rick »

The Freedom solo's look like a great design and is the one I'm leaning toward. My guess is that they would be pretty fast? If I settle on this plan, I would then need to decide wheter to go 15'3" or 16'2". I don't want to sacrifice maneuverability for length and capacity (my one gripe with my Jensen: its a beast to turn). I weigh about, so I don't think capacity would be an issue with either length.
You already have a fast tandem in the Jensen so why not build the solo? A dedicated solo is much more likely to perform better than a tandem with a kneeling thwart.

You don't say how much you weigh, so selection is up to you. For multiday trips, the 16'2" may be the more suitable since it will have more gear and load capacity, still, it depends on how much load this canoe will have to carry. Overloading the canoe should be avoided, in the interests of performance and safety.

The center depth on this solo is only 12" so waves and rough weather could be a problem especially when carrying heavy gear. For me, the 16'2" would be more suitable for tripping, and less likely to allow waves in since it would float over waves more easily.
stunruh

Post by stunruh »

Thanks for the responses!

Big Woody - build area and transportation aren't an issue for me, but cost is. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to look around at some lumber yards in the area to see what I can find. As my first canoe, I don't mind having scarf/butt joints since I'm not going for perfection yet.

Bill and Rick - From what you have said, I'm starting to like the idea of a solo even more, especially since I already have a tandem.
I meant to put in my original post that I weighed about 165, but somehow it didn't get in there. That's a little on the low side for the 16'2", but a little gear would make up the difference. I like the idea of the extra capacity of the 16' for tripping.

Steve