Champlain 16 high ender

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Dvan

Champlain 16 high ender

Post by Dvan »

This is a question for the anyone at Bear Mountain and this forum. I am thinking of building the Champlain 16 high ender for my next canoe (I just started the Prospector 16) in the description it says there was a low ender built on the same molds so if I order the plans or the CNC cut stations will the low ender sheer marks be included? If not what is the best way to go about making the second set of marks? Is there a formula or can I do it by eyeball? I really like the look of the high ender but I also like the fact I can build two different looking canoes off the same molds. I am still a novice paddler only putting in 20 to 30 miles a year on lakes and streams do you think the Champlain would be a good canoe for a novice? I am building the Prospector right now for stability to try and teach my girlfriend, 1 year old and 4 year old to canoe and it can haul all 4 of us without a problem. I would also like to thank Bear mountain and this forum for all the invaluable information I have poured over for weeks and weeks before I started working on my canoe. Thank you all!
Rick

Post by Rick »

I am still a novice paddler only putting in 20 to 30 miles a year on lakes and streams do you think the Champlain would be a good canoe for a novice?
Maybe not but since you are building a Prospector, a Champlain would paddle differently... you'd probably find it good kneeling solo and leaned over Canadian style, after you became more proficient. I haven't had the opportunity to compare them both, others that have, said a Prospector is slower by comparision and the Champlain more of a pleasure to paddle solo... but they were expert paddlers.

My Huron is rated 92 on the stability scale, same as the Champlain, and it does feel tippy when sitting in it solo... kneeling is more secure and the secondary stability does improve leaned over. My guess is that the Champlain would behave the same.

Esquif makes a Champlain and sales staff have said that this is not a canoe for most paddlers, since it is round-bottomed and usually feels tippy. Most would prefer a more stable canoe like a Prospector. OTOH, with time, the Champlain could be the more enjoyable to paddle.

The high ends are a bit much for my taste, and would catch the wind. Lowering them to match a Huron or maybe even a Bob's sheerline would result in a better-looking canoe.
Dvan

Post by Dvan »

Thanks Rick for the input. I first looked at the Hiawatha 15 but was scared away because of the stability factor of 88. I noticed that a lot of people like and have built this canoe on this forum. It is more daunting than I ever thought to try and pick a canoe to build. I like the look of the Champlain and the Hiawatha but I am finding it hard to pick one or the other. I guess my fear is I will build one and find out I don’t like it and have to build another one. I thought the Prospector 16 was a sure bet for a family canoe I don’t want to dunk the kids first try out because that’s a good way to end up with no canoe buddies. I must say I enjoy building a canoe but I would like to get more time on the water. If the canoe I pick to build is a little tipsy maybe that’s a good thing it will help me hone my paddling skills. Thanks!
Rick

Post by Rick »

YW, Dvan... an expert paddler reviewed Esquif's Champlain some time ago and said it was the most enjoyable canoe to paddle solo he had ever tried. So there is a definite upside... if I had known this about the Champlain before I built my Huron, my choice might have been different, for a higher performance canoe. Good luck!

PS... the tippiness in the Huron took some getting used to... I got over this quickly and now it's second nature so I would not see this being a major problem if having the Champlain for a pleasure to paddle is something that you'd enjoy.