Chestnut Pal, who has used one

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Sparetime

Chestnut Pal, who has used one

Post by Sparetime »

I am considering building a Chestnut Pal, has anyone ever paddled this model and can give me some feedback.

I am looking for an all around canoe. It will go to the BWCA, but probably for 5 day trips max. with two adults or one adult and child. It will also be my all around canoe.

Has anyone built one. My understanding is it is similar to the Prospector, just a smaller volume canoe, not the big workhorse.
sedges

Post by sedges »

I had a Chestnut Pal in the 1970s. It was a wonderful hull. I did everything in it. Ran rivers with class two rapids, paddled on Green bay, Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. Did a 7 day tandem trip to the BWCA. Paddled it solo and tandem. It is very similar to the prospector, but not as deep. That made it a better solo canoe. I felt it was a good all around canoe.

Unfortunately Chestnut was in the process of going out of business when they built it and used wood that had been rejected when the company was strong. The planking had terrible runout in the grain and the ribs, too. I used it hard and it finally got squashed by a power boat in a docking mishap. It was not worth repairing. We gave it a decent ceremonial fire.

Where did you get plans for the Pal?
Rick

Post by Rick »

If you are near a Novacraft canoe dealer you could test-paddle one to compare with their 16' Prospector. Although I've never tried a Pal, there have been others who have paddled both and settled on the Pal because of the smaller size, lighter weight, and an easier to paddle solo.

IIRC, it has less rocker than a Prospector and so should be better for lake travel as well as being faster. On winding creeks a more rockered canoe may be more suitable.
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

Check out the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association. WCHA. There are folks there that have good advice as well.
S
Sparetime

Post by Sparetime »

I purchased the plans from Stewart River Boatworks in Knife River Minnesota.

Currently in the process of getting geared up. I will be building it cedar and canvas though.