Finally!

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
DSJ

Finally!

Post by DSJ »

What is a good design for a hunting and fishing canoe?
I''m looking for a two person design that will be stable enough to feel comffortable and dry for hunting during cold weather, but I don't want something that paddles like a barge.
I plan on carrying it into some remote lakes on an ATV rack

I paddle mostly in small lakes, creeks and watersheds in Northern Ontario.

I h ave a 1997 copy of Canoecraft (I'm a procrastinator) and I would like to build one of the designs in it.
The redbird looks sexy, but from what I've read, it may scare off my paddling companions. The chestnut prospector and peterborough are what i'm considering.

Opinions?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

As far as I know, the Peterborough has been renamed the 16' Canadien. It has a stability factor of 86 whereas the Prospector 16 has a stability factor of 103.
The Bob's Special is a good fishing boat with the lowered ends, stability of 100. The offsets for the Bob's are in the latest edition of Canoecraft or you can purchase the plans.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Prospector is a good all-round design... it is popular enough so that you might be able to test-paddle one to make sure that it is roomy enough for two plus gear along with everything else.

Check that the rental is the same length and width... NovaCraft's Prospector is a good match with the Canoecraft version. The other Prospector designs out there could be slightly different in design as manufacturers have tweaked features in some way.