Help with choice of design to make.

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
PJ

Help with choice of design to make.

Post by PJ »

The boat I would like to begin making will be my first.

I am an experienced paddler. I own a Bell Magic, which is my current tripping canoe. I really like the way it paddles. I also own Wenonah Voyager (actually for sale), a Minnesota II, and a Jensen 17. I have paddled both the MN II and the Jensen 17 solo while kneeling just behind the yolk.

I would like to use the boat I make for solo paddling in the Boundary Waters and messing around on the backwaters of the Mississippi. When traveling in the BW I also take my 45 pound dog. The Magic works just fine for that.

I have the plans for the Freedom Solo. But I'm also leaning toward the Prospector 16', if for no other reason than history of that design.

Has anyone paddled the Freedom Solo? Is it similar to a Magic?

Looking for any and all suggestions.

Thanks.
Rick

Post by Rick »

You already have several canoes suited to various purposes, so maybe the stripper's main appeal will be beauty... I thought the Huron was the most attractive design and built it, but Prospectors also look great with their high-ended classic lines.

I prefer the Huron for solo use since it's smaller and faster as well as being large enough to be comfortable. Tandem, the Huron is a bit cramped and with two, the Prospector is the better choice.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I have the plans for the Freedom Solo as my next build. I have gazed lovingly at the Bell Magic for years. I would think they would paddle similarly. I'd be very interested in hearing how they really compare.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com