Who can give me a good advice....?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
DutchWoodStrip

Who can give me a good advice....?

Post by DutchWoodStrip »

For me this is my first post so I want first introduce myself.
I'm from the netherlands, (i hope that you can understand my english).
I'm married and we have two little girls.
Around our village where we lived we had a lot of beautifull waters (lake and rivers, no white rivers..!) The latest 2 summer holiday's we rent some plastic canoes. We had a lot of super moments with our kids in / on and around the water side. This winter I want to build a canoe, this will be my first canoe. The most of the time I want to paddle solo (bird watching and fisshing) but there will be also days that I want to spend my time with the girls in the canoe.
This is my question....what type of canoe is a good one for me, i want to made a stable canoe, it must be possible to go solo.

At this moment I think on the 15' ranger, or must i look to an other canoe.....? I hope that
you can help me to find a good one

Thank you for your Time, greetings from the Netherlands.
Denis

Post by Denis »

The Ranger is a nice boat , not too big, but big enough for your needs and is relatively stable. Check out project directories here for some examples of boats that others have built to get an idea of planking styles

Denis
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

You want stability for yourself and two daughters! I think you need a larger canoe but it depends on your size. I am over 250 # so I selected the 17' Nomad due to load carrying capacity and hull shape. BUT, I am adding a ama or outrigger to my canoe so I can stand while casting etc. and not worry about tipping. There are commercially available outriggers and anything will due but I chose to make my own and it will be about 12' long and about 6" dia. If you want a jpeg photo of my ama drawing, drop me a pm.
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Rick

Post by Rick »

You might be able to find a composite version of a Prospector (eg. NovaCraft, Wenonah, Swift) somewhere in the Netherlands and after a test-paddle, decide whether there is enough room for you and two children.

The 16' Prospector has been described as both a good solo paddled reversed and roomy enough for tripping... anyway, a test paddle should reveal whether it's suitable for your purposes.... good luck.
mbolton

Re: Who can give me a good advice....?

Post by mbolton »

The Bob's special would be a great choice as well.