Wee Lassie II--suitable for Quetico?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
CatFaber

Wee Lassie II--suitable for Quetico?

Post by CatFaber »

Err... let me apologize in advance for departing somewhat from the usual designs/topics I've seen discussed here.

I have a question and I thought the people here might be best suited to help me.

I have just finished a Wee Lassie II (from _Featherweight Boatbuilding_) She is my second wood strip canoe (I'd say cedar strip, but she's mostly white pine, which was almost as light and much cheaper). My first was a John Winters Osprey, which I finished four years ago.

Summer before last, I took the Osprey to Quetico and was totally charmed. She (Patience is her name) performed like a champ; held all the gear I needed her to, let me keep up with a Minnesota II, handled some fairly big waves with aplomb and collected a few scratches (the rocks up there are *harsh*) but nothing else. And Quetico is like noplace else I've ever been and we're all agreed that we want to go back this coming summer.

Now I'm wondering if I can loan the WLII (Constance is her name) to my husband for the trip--last time he used a borrowed Old Town Pack, which was light, roomy and stable, but *painfully* slow, and Constance is charmingly fast (faster than Patience, actually) tracks like she's on rails and is not bothered by headwinds that slow Patience down a lot.

However by "just finished" I mean I put the last coat of varnish on the day before Halloween and launched her on Halloween day. Which was, here in east Tennessee, a beyootiful day with sparkling sun and very little wind. So I haven't had a chance to see how she handles in wind and waves yet. I have seen pictures on flickr of a Wee Lassie II at Algonquin Park, so apparently they do get out canoe camping now and then.

I figured you folks might know 1) Wee Lassie IIs and 2) Quetico, and so have some idea of what I'm asking--am I a crazy person who should just start saving up to rent a Prism or something? Or would taking Constance into Quetico be doable?

Thank you for your time, and I apologize again if I have posted this in the wrong place.

P.S. My eventual plan is to have 3 solos so when my Dad and brother visit, we can all go out on the lake. (My husband sometimes canoes to please me, but says it's "too much like work" which is why I wanted the Osprey in the first place; I'm not strong enough to put a tandem on the roof of a car by myself. Quetico seems to be a special exception in my beloved's mind--I do not inquire too deeply into why because I don't want to disturb this delicate balance and have him decide he doesn't want to go to Quetico after all. Not only do I like having him around for his own sweet sake, but he's quite strong and doesn't complain, which makes him more precious than gold on the camping trail.) Anyway, back to the original digression--I'm thinking of making a third solo; what do you think of the Rob Roy?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Quetico places a magic spell on anyone who enters there. No-one can resist an opportunity to visit. As for the Wee Lassiem, I can't comment. As for a next build, take a look at the Bear Mountain Boat's Freedom Solo....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
sedges

maybe

Post by sedges »

I am very familiar with Quetico and have spent a little time in a Wee Lassie II. Using the WeeLassie II in Quetico depends on a lot of variables. Weight of paddler, how you pack for a trip, how long you wish to be out, will your route have big lakes, etc.

I think the Wee Lassie starts functioning poorly when you have about 220 pounds in it. Given the possibility of big waves on some of those Quetico lakes I would reduce that a bit down towards 200LBs. In other words, I would consider a 200 pound load the maximum for using the Wee Lassie on a wilderness trip with any exposure to waves.

If he is a light person he may have room for small packs front and back. You may have to carry most of the outfit in the Osprey.

Getting in and out of the Wee Lassie is more like getting in and out of a kayak which is not as easy at many portage as stepping out of a larger canoe.

I ran across a group of three in Quetico with a tandem and a Wee Lassie II. The tandem carried all the gear. The Wee Lassie just a day pack. The paddlers rotated through the Wee Lassie so everyone got a chance to paddle it. They seemed to be enjoying it very much. You could do the same with a big and small solo.

Also you have all winter to experiment with packing your outfit in the two canoes. I suggest a winter camping trip on one of the local reservoirs to try it out.
CatFaber

Post by CatFaber »

@seges: Yay--I was hoping someone would be able to help me with this question. Thank you for your observations. I'm afraid my husband is about 190 lbs, which will make packing our kit into the Osprey and the Wee Lassie II a bit of a challenge (I'm 175--which I may have reduced a bit by that time, but 50 pounds is not in the cards; I'd have to chop off a leg.) I did stretch the Osprey by 3 inches in order to get full value out of my 14 foot boards, but that's not going to increase the cargo capacity by very much, I should think.

I was liking the WLII for him because it is steady and fast, which struck me as a good combination for someone who is not in a boat all that often.

Well, I will have a try at packing our stuff into the 2 boats as you suggest, and see where we get. I did read one of John Winters' old posts (I forget where, now; I've been scouring the internet on this...) that suggested the Osprey could carry more than I thought.

@Patrick's Dad: Thanks for your suggestion. The Freedom Solo reminds me a bit of the Osprey, with that sharp angle beginning the tumblehome, though the Osprey's tumblehome is flat rather than having that interesting concave curve.

I didn't notice anything about rocker on the page of specs, and while I saw a "Freedom" on the page comparing boat stabilities, I kind of thought that was the tandem... I notice a couple of people reported having bought plans; do you know if anyone has finished one? I would love to hear from someone who has paddled one if that is possible.

[edited Nov 9: 14 *foot* boards, not 14 *food* boards--I'm not going to eat my canoe!]
Last edited by CatFaber on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Post by Rick »

...I haven't had a chance to see how she handles in wind and waves yet. I have seen pictures on flickr of a Wee Lassie II at Algonquin Park, so apparently they do get out canoe camping now and then.
By all means test-paddle in rough seas for safety reasons, and for suitability and enjoyment... this could save you some disappointment and possibly some unnecessary risk.

The Newfound website gives the WLII capaciity at 280 pounds:

http://www.newfound.com/weelassie2.htm

John Winters' capacity for the Osprey is given at 283 pounds, almost identical:

http://www.greenval.com/osprey.html

(Swift's Osprey website gives the "industrial capacity" at 400 pounds but this relates to maintaining some amount of freeboard and not necessarily to optimum performance or safety).

The Osprey is a larger canoe designed by JW for wilderness travel so how can these two have almost identical capacities? My guess is the WLII's stated capacity is misleading, for wilderness travel in places like Quetico... again, test-paddling beforehand may be time well spent.

Good luck, stay safe.
CatFaber

Post by CatFaber »

Rick wrote:
By all means test-paddle in rough seas for safety reasons, and for suitability and enjoyment... this could save you some disappointment and possibly some unnecessary risk.
Oh, absolutely--I agree. It's just that if I want to try to build a third, more Quetico-suitable model, I need to hop right on that--it took me 8 months to build my first and 10 months to build my second, and we'd be going in August...
Rick wrote:
The Osprey is a larger canoe designed by JW for wilderness travel so how can these two have almost identical capacities? My guess is the WLII's stated capacity is misleading, for wilderness travel in places like Quetico... again, test-paddling beforehand may be time well spent.

Good luck, stay safe.
I did see that, about the WLII's capacity. That was what made me even consider the idea in the first place.

I wonder if the difference is that with the WLII they're thinking of paddling in calm waters and with the Osprey they're thinking of more vigorous use. I imagine you can get away with less freeboard if there are no waves to speak of.

I agree that testing is necessary, and will plan on doing that. Now if the weather will just cooperate...
CatFaber

Brief Update

Post by CatFaber »

Temp in the low 70s today; took the Osprey and the Wee Lassie II out.

Tried the Wee Lassie II with 190 lbs (paddler commented that she seemed more stable with the extra weight) then with 222.5 lbs (swapped in different weight paddler.)

The Wee Lassie II handled very well with the extra weight (I hardly noticed a difference myself), but alas for the whims of nature, the lake was like glass and testing in wind must be postponed.

Still hoping for a windy day.