Is the Freedom 15 solo suitable for class 2-3 white water?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
fergunei

Is the Freedom 15 solo suitable for class 2-3 white water?

Post by fergunei »

I am looking for a solo tripper that can handle creek paddling, moving water on rivers and will track reasonably well on the flat. I am wondering if the Freedom 15 will meet
my needs? How much rocker is there on the Freedom 15?
Denis

Re: Is the Freedom 15 solo suitable for class 2-3 white wate

Post by Denis »

I have helped build several freedom 17's and they don't have a whole lot of rocker. I would assume the 15 is similar. Perhaps you might consider the 15 foot ranger which sounds like the boat that would be more suitable for what you would like to do. I have build several of them and they are a nice paddling craft.

Denis
sedges

Post by sedges »

I believe fergunei was referring to the solo 15' 2".

The hull has greater rocker in the bow than in the stern. My experience with similar hulls in tandems is that this is not enough rocker to do a technical class 3 well. The bow moves pretty well, but the stern tends to stay put. It also is only 12" deep at center.

The good side is the flare of this hull along its entire length(except for the tuck in at the very top). This would indicate good secondary stability and a fairly dry ride in waves.

If you are planning to paddle a wood canoe in class 3 waters the hull should be the easiest to move side ways, ferry and enter and exit eddies gently. The hull will be bound to take a beating if you have to muscle it around.

My vote would be no to the solo 15 for up to class 3(unless you possess extraordinary whitewater skills).
Last edited by sedges on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sedges

Post by sedges »

Thinking about this a bit more I come up with a question. What canoe are you currently using to do the activities you describe?