Fast design for recreational canoe race.

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
danthecarpenter

Fast design for recreational canoe race.

Post by danthecarpenter »

I'm looking for input on a fast strip canoe design to build. It would be for a recreational canoe division in the Ski to Sea race in Bellingham, WA. The leg is 18.5 miles down the Nooksack river (a class 1). Recreational canoes must be at least 15'2" in length and not over 18' and wider than .1475 times the length at the 4" waterline. (ex. 31-5/8" for a 18' boat) 327's, "cruisers" and 432's would not qualify.
I would also like the boat to be suitable for family paddling.
I'm leaning towards the freedom 17. What to you think?

Dan
Moonman

Re: Fast design for recreational canoe race.

Post by Moonman »

The Freedom 17 would be an excellent choice and the best choice among the Bear Mountain designs. If you are also considering non Bear Mountain designs, you could try the John Winters boats over on the greenval.com site. There is the Cirrus, Baracuda, Kipawa and Winisk. The Baracuda may not qualify as it might have too little beam for the regs, Winisk, while a fast boat, probably too much boat for what you want (displacement wise), Kipawa matching up best to the Freedom 17, but the Cirrus might just be the ticket.

Moonman.
danthecarpenter

Went with the Freedom 17. Completed it last fall, finally got some good weather for picture taking. I'm really happy with the canoe. It's stable and easy to paddle. Have taken the family out several times and got in some race practice. :wink
Attachments
DSC08399.jpg
DSC08400.jpg
DSC08401.jpg
danthecarpenter

Oh Yeah, the boat is salvaged old growth western red cedar (hence the dark color) and salvaged old growth yellow cedar for accents, thwarts and seats. Gunwales are cedar also, they're light but very soft (maybe too soft)
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice!
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Congrats your boat looks great!

re your gunwales, depending on your finish, you could coat with epoxy then varnish, for a much harder surface. BTW, let us know how you did in the race.

Moonman.