Solo Tripper 17 as double paddle canoe & seat placement?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
drastic_quench

Solo Tripper 17 as double paddle canoe & seat placement?

Post by drastic_quench »

I've built a Wee Lassie II, and I'm a big fan of using a kayak paddle in a solo canoe. Typically this means you sit as close to the bottom as possible.

A few questions:

Would the Solo 17 be a good match for a double paddle? I understand the tumblehome is constructed for a single paddle, would it be largely wasted when using a double? Is this a non-issue -- as I suspect?

How would a low seat placement suit this design?

Thanks!
drastic_quench

Re: Solo Tripper 17 as double paddle canoe & seat placement?

Post by drastic_quench »

Anyone?
Steve Killing

Post by Steve Killing »

Drastic,
I just had this post brought to my attention – it seems you have been waiting for a reply for quite a while!

A double paddle is not something I had considered with this design, but why not? Tracking straight is easier and with a lower seat the stability will increase. I’m not sure I would put the seat on the floor, but perhaps keep it 4” off or so. Since the canoe is wider than a kayak, you won’t be paddling with your hands down beside the hull, so you might need a bit of seat height to get a comfortable action with the blades. I think that decision of paddle length and height off the floor may need some experimentation. But by all means build the boat as seat placement can follow for single or double blades.

And you are right, the tumblehome will not hurt you either way.
Regards,
Steve Killing
drastic_quench

Post by drastic_quench »

Thanks, Steve!

I wasn't in a big hurry. I'm loving my Wee Lassie 2, but I've had my eye on this as a followup build for quite a while.
sedges

do a mock up

Post by sedges »

I would suggest making a mock up of card board or scrap to test this out before building.

Consider that the Wee Lassie II has 27 or 28 inch width at the gunwales 10.5 inches depth. The solo tripper has 25 width at the gunwales at 11.25 depth. This may seriously shorten the available distance between your hands on the paddle as they are going to have to be INSIDE the gunwale width if you lower the seat to near the floor. With the seat at the planned location you would be above the gunwales enough that it would not matter. Many people paddle hulls like the Wenonah Prism with a double paddle and seem to like it a lot.

While double paddles would seem to so efficient you must consider that with each stroke you are lifting a second blade(essentially a second paddle) weight and waving it around in the air. No so with a short bent-shaft paddle.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

A friend with a Bell Magic lowered the seat and loved it with a double paddle.
Lowered the seat only a couple inches.

My only concern would be the amount of water you would drip inside.
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!