Anyone know of a plan for a Freedom 16/6?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Morecowbell

Anyone know of a plan for a Freedom 16/6?

Post by Morecowbell »

While looking at designs I was on Steve Killing's site and ran across the Freedom 16/6:

http://www.stevekilling.com/freedom16_6.htm

More info and specs here:

http://www.bluewatercanoes.com/index.ph ... Itemid=177

I asked Joan about it this morning and she said it wasn't a design she was familiar with and to ask Steve, but that he's very busy and may be hard to track down. I have an email in to him but was curious if anyone on the board has any info on whether there is a plan available for it?

Thanks
Patricks Dad

Re: Anyone know of a plan for a Freedom 16/6?

Post by Patricks Dad »

Don't know anything about the Freedom 16/6 but if it's anything close to the Freedom 17 (BMB has plans for this), it is a very popular design. Lots of folks on this site will rave about it.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks Randy. As I'm looking at designs and reading reviews its clear that Steve Killing's designs are top notch. The F17 gets raves, my only concern is that it might be a bit lively for a couple of newbies. I'm now leaning a bit towards the Bob's in a 16 ft version - appears to be a great all around design and probably more comfortable for beginners (but then I go back to the stability numbers on the chart and the difference seems pretty minor!)

The Freedom 16/6 caught my attention because it appears to be more of a "general purpose" design (with the Steve Killing magic) but I can't find anything in searches so it may not be available as a plan. However, I feel good knowing he's refaired the Bob's, and of course many of the other BM designs.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I wouldn't get hung up on stability as a new paddler. Your transition from a canoe feeling tippy to a close friend will be much quicker than you think.

Build the boat you want to enjoy over the long haul (generations) and get used to it. Don't build a "safe" boat you will wish you could upgrade later.... I'm not saying that the Bobs is such a craft. Just that you shouldn't consider too heavily the early relationship and think past the honeymoon....

that said, you will also build several boats (so you can actually switch later if you want).

Also, If you are building a canoe shorter than you may otherwise want due to space, try to think past that too if you can. My first canoe was built at a diagonal so it would (just barely) fit in the garage....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

That's great advice, and much appreciated. Part of the reason it takes me a while is that I get fascinated by the various designs and approaches, and I kind of have to work through all those enthusiasms before coming back to earth! I've been reading this site, the BWCA site and the reviews at the paddling.net site on the Nova Canoe designs of the Freedom 17 and Bob's. I imagine these are slightly different designs from the cedar strips, but hopefully a good approximation.

At this point I think the Bob's is hitting all the marks for us: traditional (but touched up by Steve K.), good tradeoff on speed and stability, good medium tripper as a 15' or a 16' (relatively lightweight for portaging, lower profile for wind), good capacity (for us, we're not big guys or traveling heavy)). So I think its a great first boat for what we want, and I'm sure will be used by the fam & friends in other capacities so having a design that's a little closer to general use will be good. I'll be talking all this over with my son today, we'll see where we come out - and as you say, it probably won't be the last one I build!!