Replaced knees

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Mysmallboat

Replaced knees

Post by Mysmallboat »

What is a good canoe to build? I have 2 replaced knees and would like to build a canoe with a seat that would be about midway between the bottom and the inwales. I like a couple of plans I like, but the pictures and descriptions don't really indicate the seat positions
Cruiser

Re: Replaced knees

Post by Cruiser »

You can pretty much do the seat height any way you want in most designs, you just have to be conscious if you want to kneel and get your feet back under the seat, there has to be enough clearance left. You don't want to do that, so you can set the height as you like.

The advantage of lowering the seat is, it will give you better stability, as it is lowered.

Brian
sedges

Post by sedges »

I am assuming you are looking to sit, not kneel. My partner has two new knees and she finds kneeling quite uncomfortable.

Are you looking for a tandem or solo? If tandem will you be in the stern or bow?

Beside not kneeling, another issue with knees is getting up from low sitting positions. Considering you are looking solo. The seat half way between the bottom and the gunnels is only 6 or 7 inches off the bottom. Can you get up easily from that height?

With my old, but pretty good, knees I like to have my seat up near the gunnel. I choose a canoe with enough stability to make that comfortable. The seat on my solo is only 2 inches below the gunnel and 10 inches off the bottom.

The stern seat in my tandem is even higher. Back in the stern you are captive on the centerline of the canoe and have very little tipping effect as long as you keep your head between the gunnels. The seat there can be pretty high. The bow seat can be high, too, if you choose a stable canoe.
Mysmallboat

Post by Mysmallboat »

Thanks. I am looking at a solo sitting position nearer to the inwales. 6-7 inchs from the bottom of the hull would be tough. Most plans that I have looked at are not saying if raising the seat is an option. I have finalized which design I want to build, as there are 6 in the running (Nymph, Wee Lassie's, and several from Laughing Loon). Looking at about a 12 foot length, easy enough for me to raise and lower of the top of my SUV.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

The Wee Lasse's I'm familiar with, are sit on the bottom canoes.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
sedges

Post by sedges »

http://www.newfound.com/Otter.htm

Here is a canoe you may be interested in. Its symmetrical so you could stretch it out a bit if you wish. What I like about it for your situation is that the sides are straight up, no tumblehome. That would allow you to make it a little deeper, which I would suggest. That would allow you to hang the seat 10 inches off the bottom which would be easier for your knees to deal with.

The Otter is not going to be a swift canoe, but it would be fun for spooning around in nice weather.
Mysmallboat

Post by Mysmallboat »

Thanks Sedges. I looked at the Otter, and it was on the list, just not higher on the list. Now looking at other options, it is in the top 3. I like the Solo Passage from Laughing Loon, just not the length. Would like a max of 12 feet.
sedges

Post by sedges »

If 12 feet is your #1 criteria than the solo passage should not even be on the list. It would not be easy to shrinking by spacing mold closer with the tumblehome. Also, if you shrink it you would want to make it deeper and that is not going to work with the tumblehome. The solo passage is a great canoe, but I think your situation demands different characteristics.

The solo passage has a shallow-arch bottom shape. It is going to feel a little tippy. I see people with joint issues have the worst time getting in and getting settled, or getting up and out of shallow-arch hulls. This is the time they end up in the lake. Once you are settled there is not a problem. Also, if you are going to raise the seat to meet your needs, shallow-arch bottom is going to feel tippier the higher you raise the seat.

I am no fan of flat-bottom canoes. They are slower, they do not do well in big waves and when it really counts, in rough water, they do not have that secondary stability of a shallow-arch hull. That said, people have been touring around in big lakes and rivers for decades in flat-bottomed aluminum canoes with great success.

I think you need to be looking at the flattest-bottomed canoe you can find give you want a 12 footer and need a higher seat position. If you look for a design with straight sides you can make it a little deeper to get the seat a little higher. Most solos have 11-12 inch depth at center. You may want to add 1-2 inches.

If you have ever paddled an Old Town Pack or 119 you will be close to what I am suggesting. That canoe has a huge following of folks that just love it. Your woodstrip model could be way lighter and easier to lift.
Mysmallboat

Post by Mysmallboat »

It looks like I'm going to have to go bigger, so a 14 foot is now in the scheme of things. I don't mind being low in the boat, just need to be able stretch and bend my knees, so a mid seat will work also. I have seen some canoes with stirrups to place your feet. That might be an option also
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Foot pegs are popular with a lot of paddlers. Simple enough to epoxy in some blocks, where you want them.
Another option, that I've been using, is what I call the "Nate Stick", It might or might not work for you.

For me I love them. They are just a flat rounded stick, that lays across the gunnels, under my legs. When My back gets tired from sitting, I pull it out, and the relief is immediate.
You can easily make one. If you just want to try, place a paddle or stick under your legs some time while paddling. See if it works for you .
Here's a few pics.

Good luck with the knees ! Losing mobility is Aweful !!!

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

If you want adjustable foot braces, I installed these in my solo, I love them.

The topic is in the forums here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4481&p=27833#p27833

Brian