Symmetrical to Asymmetrical?

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Morecowbell

Symmetrical to Asymmetrical?

Post by Morecowbell »

Was looking at the Freedom 17 and Bob's Special and wondered if anyone has turned a traditional design into an asymmetrical design by moving forms? For example if you made the Bob's 16' instead of 15' but only stretched the front half of the boat, would it be good, bad or indifferent? Just curious - random thoughts bouncing around in my head...
Jim Dodd

Re: Symmetrical to Asymmetrical?

Post by Jim Dodd »

Yes. I've done this on three separate designs. All solos. One thing I had to do was modify the stem forms. Not a biggie ! Stretch the Bow stem, and shorten the stern form.
Hoping for a faster hull out of it. I was disappointed. I noticed no increase in speed, but seemed to lose tracking slightly.
Have a pic of the station spacing.
I simply placed my center form, 6" aft of center, and then divided up the distance between the center form, and the last form, by the number of forms.
As I stated the stem forms need to be repositioned also.
Stripping was not a problem, but if you go this route. Fair your forms with a fairing strip.
The designs were tumblehomed solos, with no rocker.
If I had computer design knowledge, I might have been able to create a better design.

My advise ? Delft Ship has a free download. Take the time to learn it ! And create a canoe design.
Or stick with a proven design .

Jim
Last edited by Jim Dodd on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

It was fun however at the time ! A great learning experience !

Jim
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Jim,

Looking at Delft Ship now, have you used it? My spidey sense is tingling....this looks like a very interesting rabbit hole, I may never return! :laughing

C
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

A good friend, Alan Gage, has designed several canoes using this program. I've played with it, but it's over my head.

Alan has it down ! It's interesting how changes made on the program, to a design, changes the handling characteristics of a hull.

There is a great pleasure designing , building, and paddling a canoe you designed !
Good Luck !!!

Jim