First time Yak for my daughter

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
ID Canoeblder

First time Yak for my daughter

Post by ID Canoeblder »

Hi all,
I am going to build a kayak for my second twin daughter. I finally finished Twin #1's 16' Prospector a few weeks ago.

Maddie is 5'8", about 125 lbs, and athletically gifted, but not very active. She wants a kayak. I've been searching a lot of books and plans. She doesn't want a long touring yak, and she will mostly paddle it on lakes or Class I and II rivers with us in the open canoes. I know that a longer boat like an Endeavor or Resolute will have more initial stability, but she really doesn't want a long boat. I'm looking strongly at the Venture, but am concerned by Glen's comment in a 2009 thread that the "Venture is unstable on flat water."

Does anyone have experience paddling this boat? I would love your thoughts.

Thanks,

Greg
When people find out what's really important in life, there's going to be a shortage of canoes.
Cruiser

Re: First time Yak for my daughter

Post by Cruiser »

Can't help with actual experience, but if you read Glen's post again and his followup comments, it is pretty clear he didn't mean that the boat was unstable (IMO).

I think the point was that with a lighter loading it was "livelier" (and he is lighter than your daughter)... his other comment was that being a shorter boat, it tended to be a bit slower. Since kayak uses a twin paddle, I doubt it would have trouble keeping up with tandem canoes.

Once you get seated, the center of gravity is so low in a kayak that I suspect you will wonder why you ever worried.

Brian
sedges

Post by sedges »

I think the Venture would be a fine boat. Another excellent alternative and even shorter would be the John Winters design Tasman Sea. Steve Killing(Venture) and John Winters(Tasman Sea) have very similar ideas for small craft design and very very good ones, too.

http://www.greenval.com/tasman.html
ID Canoeblder

Post by ID Canoeblder »

Cruiser and Sedges,
thanks for giving me your thoughts and it's nice to be in touch with you guys after so long. I was on the site a lot back in 2004/5 when I built my second White Guide.

In looking over the profiles for the Venture, it seemed to me like it should be a pretty good boat, so I was surprised to read Glen's comment. Probably something he dashed off at the moment. I looked at the Tasman Sea, and it looks like a good beginner boat as well, but I think I'll stick with the Venture. I already have the book and am unsure about dropping $100 on plans that I can't see.

Maddie and I went to the yard to pick out wood today, and she really lit up when she saw some blue pine 1x6 T&G, so we bought some. I think it's going to make for a very pretty and unique deck.

So I'll keep you guys posted on this one. I have pics of Megan's Prospector build and launch, just trying to get them sorted out in Photobucket and then I'll post some.

Thanks,

Greg
When people find out what's really important in life, there's going to be a shortage of canoes.