question about Huron Cruiser

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
isaac

question about Huron Cruiser

Post by isaac »

Longtime reader of this forum; it certainly provided insight and help in building an Endeavour about 2 yrs. ago.

I've been very seriously considering a canoe project for this winter season, and I'm looking for a little bit of feedback. The paddling that I envision doing most often is un-loaded day trips. I would like a canoe that has a bit life to it, not necessarily rock-solid, high primary stability.

The design that has most piqued my interest is the Huron Cruiser: lovely profile, appropriatly rounded bottom, not too big. Seems to me like a "high performance" daytripper. My main question is: Why don't I read about anyone building this boat?

Any comments or input welcome.
Thanks,
Isaac
Rick

Post by Rick »

Isaac,

See here:

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... ight=huron

Also Tom's website, which first clued me in:

http://tomangelakis.tripod.com/Cedarstrip.htm

Searching on "huron" here and at www.myccr.com will also yield more info - Huronians here and elsewhere would be happy to answer any other questions you might have... good choice!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The Huron is a quick boat, especially with two people paddling. It is relatively narrow with sharp entry lines. You can get a sense of that from some of the finished pics on my site mentioned in a previous post.

It does feel a bit wobbly at first but I've been happy with the secondary stability and the initial wobbly feel doesn't take long to get used to. It feels more tender when paddling tandem. I've never tipped while underway (just while getting in one time :oops: )

But mine has been shortened slightly and has other mods so it might not have the exact same charateristics as a Huron built to spec. Having said that, a spec boat would probably be less tender than mine if there is indeed a difference.

I use mine mostly for solo tripping but it has more than enough capacity for long-weekend tandem tripping. I don't paddle it much unloaded, or neglected to take mental notes, so I don't know what to say about that.

It suits my needs nicely. And it is a fine looking canoe. Perhaps the Redbird is prettier and probably quicker but it doesn't have much freeboard. My Huron is a very dry boat. But if you won't be paddling loaded, then maybe the Redbird? Or too long?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Rick, Tom, thanks for your input and the link suggestions. Tom, I very much enjoyed perusing you site. I don't anticipate the seriously rough use and abuse that your boat has undertaken, but I nonetheless enjoyed your modifications.

From what I've been able to glean the Huron will very likely fill my needs. I have considersed several other BMB designs, including the Freedom 17, which is still a close second. Lorna seems a bit too extreme. Dislike the lines of the Redbird. Several of the classics like Prospector have a bit too much beam. I've essentially made up my mind, but would certainly enjoy any other insights or tidbits that you might have to offer.

Thanks again.
Isaac
Rick

Post by Rick »

...the Redbird is prettier and probably quicker...
I'm not sure whether it would be the faster hull, especially when cruising lightly loaded. IIRC, the Huron has the finer entry, mainly because of the narrower beam at waterline... dividing the length by the beam WL and comparing the two should show this. The Redbird will also have more surface area below the water line creating more friction and resistance, but the longer length means there will be less of a wave-making effect to slow it down. The Redbird will be able to carry a heavier load and maintain higher speed because of it's size, but the Huron should be the more efficient canoe going lighter. They were designed for different purposes, still, it would be interesting to see how they compare.

Just hoping to stir up a hornet's nest here, I'm putting on my flameproof fire-resistant nomex overalls and keeping them on from here on in.

:)