Paddling Lake Michigan

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
Bernie in Illinois

Paddling Lake Michigan

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Looks like Dean is the seed for the new Choosing a Design forum. To help things grow a bit more, how about this.

Lake michigan is known for its sometimes turbulent waters. Not that any of us plan on paddling through a seche, but I wondered if anyone has any comments on what type of craft best fits that environment.

For those of you non-Lake Michigan types, a seche is a giant wave that sometimes forms over the lake.
Glen Smith

Paddling Lake Michigan

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Bernie, as far as I know, longer boats perform better in larger wave conditions. The Redbird "has proven exceptionally seaworthy even in heavy seas around the Magdalen Islands in the Gulf of St-Lawrence and the North Sea."
Rick

Post by Rick »

Bernie, could you describe the giant wave a little more, I've never heard of those happening here in Ontario. On Georgian Bay, we have white squalls sometimes reported which are formed by storm fronts kicking up waves and spray suddenly so that the oncoming storm appears white. I've never seen one while being out there, and stay close to shore to duck into a sheltered bay just in case. White squalls have been responsible for many wrecks when the winds and waves blew ships onto reefs.

Sea kayaks are probably best for Great Lakes paddling, but I find them cramped and uncomfortable, compared to canoes and agree with Glen that the Redbird's a good choice. Big-water canoes often have spray covers attached when needed, when waves get too rough, or as insurance. There was some discussion on these in the old forum, and there are outfits that will sew custom spray covers for canoes.

There are also partially decked canoes that will be able to take waves more safely, Kruger (?) might be the manufacturer, and there might be plans out there on this type somewhere.

Even though it's good to have the latest designs available for paddling large lakes safely, Bill Mason, a legendary canoeist here in Canada, just used a 16' Prospector out in L. Superior, and did very well. He was an expert paddler however, and could paddle in large swells safely when the rest of us would have been windbound on shore.

PS.... In the past, I also used a 16' Prospector or the rentals in the area while out on Georgian Bay, but must confess that I spent time fishing in sheltered bays and behind islands when things got windy during afternoons - or just stayed in camp. I'm hoping that my Huron will have better rough-water characteristics than the previous canoes, which tended to pound quite a bit.
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Interesting! I thought there would be quite a few responses promoting sea kayaks. Well after all, this is a forum about canoes.

Rick, I don't know much about seches. Perhaps I'm not even spelling the word correctly. But, through the years, weather forecasters have issued several warnings for the Chicago area. In the late sixties, for example, serious flooding was expected inland, just north of the Loop. It never happened. You may be right on target calling them white squalls. I just don't know.

Lake Michigan is just one of the reasons why I chose the Redbird. During the early phases of the project, right about the time that the strongback and molds were finished, I began to think that it was'nt the right design for me. It just seemed too long at 17'6", and the reputation for tippiness was a concern. I felt that a Bob's Special was more my style. Dean, among others, wrote long dissertations on the values of the Redbird design, in the hope I would'nt jump ship. Well, I didn't. If I remember right, Glen, Jeff and others suggested I stop stalling and build them both.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Bernie in Illinois wrote:I began to think that it was'nt the right design for me.
:D
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

seems to me you have a bigger wave problem on the great lakes then I do in Key West. Seems kind of odd. The wind here has been blowing like MAD for 3 days now at 15-20 mph and I have yet to see anything more than 1-2 seas. I have a 14' aluminum boat that we just bought and have only been able to take it out once because of the wind would surely blow us out to sea.
Just a cheese burger in Paradise