wee Lassie vs. Wee Lassie II

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
ljsense

wee Lassie vs. Wee Lassie II

Post by ljsense »

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts about whether to build a Wee Lassie or its modified, longer version, the Wee Lassie II.

I am building my first cedar strip boat, and am looking for a fairly simple design that's slender enough to get out of my basement.

I hope the boat will have two users (at least). I'm 6-foot-3, 180lbs, and my wife is 5-foot-5, 115. Not easy to design a solo boat ideal for both of us. Before you suggest a double, we have a big alumimum Grumman, and I'd never be able to slide its cedar replacement out the basement window.

So anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts or information. I don't know, for instance, what the designed capacity of either boat is, or their handling characteristics.
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I have a Wee Lassie. Your weight will be fine for a Wee Lassie, but you may feel cramped due to your height. I'm 5'8". I've since built a Merlin. It is approximately 30" wide. If this is narrow enough for you, you should check it out. It is not too difficult to strip, although there is some curvature at the tumblehome that may give you trouble if you use 3/4" or wider strips. I used 3/4" without problems, but I've built a couple boats. I don't think I have been in the WL since I finished the Merlin.

Kurt
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

If you're able to build a canoe in the basement you will probably have enough skill to take the trim off of the window, pull the window, exit the boat and replace the window and trim to look just like new. This would allow you to make a double. I built a Wee Lassie from the original plans and found it a very hard boat to strip. The turn of the bilge took a lot of effort in order to get the strips to lay correctly.