solo small lake fishing canoe

You don't know which boat you should build to suit your personal needs? Please post your questions here and our many contributors will surely have some good advice.
JEFF

solo small lake fishing canoe

Post by JEFF »

I am 6' 4" 220 lbs and want to fish the small lakes and I will portage the canoe and use it for paddling and fishing. The three desings I am looking at are the cottage cruiser, ranger and bob special. If anyone has one of these desings can you comment for me on their stabilty and paddling ease and on they are to fish from?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Try clamping a temporary solo seat cut from plywood into place on the Freedom, it just might turn out to be sutable for your needs. Otherwise, the Bob's would be a lightweight, high-capacity solo/tandem, with good initial stability.
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

Jeff,

My wife and I built the Bob's Special and have found it to be a very stable, easy to paddle and light weight (50 lbs) to handle. Neither of us are "experienced" paddlers but managed to keep it "right side up" during numerous outings this past summer. Even with 2 or 3 active grandkids in the canoe I found the stability to be good. It's a great boat to fish out of -- if only I could get the fish to cooperate -- oh well, maybe my luck will be a little better this year.

Whichever design you choose, good luck on the build and enjoy your canoe.
Pappy
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Be sure to read the FAQs page http://www.bearmountainboats.com/faq_04.htm. I built the Bob's last winter and highly recommend it. I'm not a gung ho paddler but found it very comfortable. It has room and capacity to take a buddy along should you desire....Juneaudave
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Jeff,

I would suggest a Bob Special for the following reasons:
1. ease of construction
2. Your size and weight is going to max out most solo designs, the same problem I have.
3. Plenty of room for fishing gear, cooler, significant other

The Rob Roy I'm building now would be perfect for a smaller person and little gear.