Canoecopia 2005: A review

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Bryan Hansel

Canoecopia 2005: A review

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I don't know if anyone here went to the show this year, but I wrote up a review of the show at my nessmuking site. You can check it out athttp://www.nessmuking.com. If anyone else went, and would like to add remarks, I'd gladly add them to the review.
hoz

You can use this report Brian

Post by hoz »

After making plans to attend 'copia the past 5 years I finally made it. My main focus was to visit with paddlers I have met on the net. I wore an old plain white T shirt and asked everyone one who came up to me to sign it, a nice, cheap souvenir.

Everyone gladly signed with the exception of Cliff Jacobson who actually blew me off. Even after I helped him load his props he suddenly took off on a run to sign autographs at the book booth. Guess you have to buy a book to get his autograph.

Friday night we had dinner at the Great Dane with other paddlers from Canadian Canoe Routes. (http://www.myccr.com) Hap Wilson, Kevin Callan, Kathy and Scott Warner came to join the festivities. Claire Quenzence,from Woodland Caribou Provincial Park brought her Ontario Parks contingent also.

It was big fun meeting the US group of MYCCR heads. Special thanks should go to Jerry R for taking the unicorn by the horn and arranging our meeting place and dinner . The Great Dane had an area reserved for us and their prices were very reasonable. The pitchers of micro brewed beer kept flowing.

With only Friday night and Saturday to work I didn't get to see ALL the presenters but my favorites were:

Joanie and Gary McGuffin, (Greenland to Lake Superior), gave a truly beautiful and poetic presentation. Gary's photographs are works of art, and Joanies' narration is a combination of prose and poetry. Her enthusiasm and love of the land is evident.

Hap Wilson (Spiritual sites of the Canadian Shield) gave a glimpse of the way the First Nations people have held the land in love and reverence for thousands of years. His slides of ancient Native American pictographs, inukshuks and dolmen stones come from decades of roaming the boreal forests and waterways of Canada.

Scott and Kathy Warner who shared their 60 days in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park DVD with us. Their summer trip in WCPP must have been a glimpse of heaven on earth and their presentation touched us with their spirituality and love of the water and land.

And of course Kevin Callan, the clown prince of canoeing, kept his audience in stitches while sharing tasty tidbits on how to be a Happy Camper. His River Rat video was a HOOT! Kevins' books on Canadian canoeing were my initial hope and inspiraition when I was recovering from renal transplant in 1999. I was happy to finally meet with him and share a bit of conversation.

I met many people from outfitters I have chatted with to epoxy suppliers whose products I have used. It was nice to see Claire Q from WCPP and gybe her a bit about the "strip
search" she put my crew thru last summer. Just kiddin Claire.

Al R from Goldseekers is a great guy and a fantastic source of information. I PROMISE I will rent someting someday!

Here is a pic of us at the dinner.

From left to right.

Jodie (Turtle paddles) , Hap Wilson, Kathy and Scott Warner, Bob Meisner(owner of The Bugshirt) .
Kevin Callan (thumbs up) , more of Jerrys friends (Ranger’s). Standing in the back row, Jerry R, Hoz (with sign), Barry, Chuck, and Worth.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar