One World Expedition

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Doug

One World Expedition

Post by Doug »

One World Expedition
the first summer crossing of the Arctic Ocean - 2005
http://www.oneworldexpedition.com/index.php

(There is a canoe involved)

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Eric lives right across the street from me and Lonnie lives about a block away. I don't know Lonnie very well, but Eric is a great guy. These two have been training by pulling tires behind them up and down the hills here in town. It's my understanding that they started out on snowshoes yesterday from somewhere in Russia.

The canoes that they are using are short whitewater boats with plastic skids screwed on the bottom of them. I ran into Eric (and a photographer who was attached to him like glue) about two weeks before they left and asked him how the boats where doing, and he said that even loaded they had plenty of freeboard and that with the skids they tracked very well.

It will be interesting to see how they do. In a few places they will have no chance of rescue.