Hard disk crash!

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Patricks Dad

Hard disk crash!

Post by Patricks Dad »

Almost completely unrelated to boat building but if anyone has advice I'd appreciate it.

Last Thursday night, my laptop hard disk crashed. It contained over 1200 high resolution pictures I have taken of our Redbird building project. I have many of them up on the Shutterfly.com website but many weren't uploaded yet. The IT guys at work gave up on recovering the data (it's my work laptop). Does anyone have experience with sending disk somewhere to have the data recovered? I'd pay for those pictures (not so sure about the work related stuff).

thanks
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Hi Randy,
Soooo sorry to hear that your drive crashed. What a pain in the arse. I had the same thing happen last year. Couldn't retrieve anything from the disc, but fortunately, I've been backing up every week on a free-standing hard drive (called Maxtor), and all pics and other stuff I don't want to lose is saved on a flash drive when I save it to the computer. The HD backup is a piece of cake, takes only a few minutes after the first time, and when I got the new HD, I loaded windows back on it, then the retrieval program that comes with the Maxtor. In an hour I had my computer back to where it was before the crash. Saving to a flash drive is quicker than saving to a disc, like saving to your HD. Eventually I put my pics and stuff on discs, but that's a once or twice a year ordeal. I hope you can get your pics back, either way, try backing up on a free-standing HD. You'll be hooked immediately.
A hui ho,
Kent