Canoe Registration in Illinois

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Patricks Dad

Canoe Registration in Illinois

Post by Patricks Dad »

Some time ago there was some discussion on this site on the procedures for registering a home-built canoe in varous states/countries. Today I (finally) received registration credentials for our Redbird from the Illinois DNR. The process for Illinois was simple (no inspection required). Just a $13 (US) fee and a form to fill out. It took about 3 months for the process. The form can be found here:
http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/boats.htm

They sent us the title for the canoe yesterday with a new Hull Identification Number to put on the canoe.

If we could just finish the canoe we'd be good to go.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I registered the Rice Lake in AK this spring...had to code it by make, year, type, hull, propulsion, and use. Ended up with custom built, 2005, 00014ft, fiberglass/plastic, outboard and pleasure. Hand painted the number and I'm good! :applause
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

There apparently is one more step to the registration process for homemade boats in Illinois that I wasn't aware of. Earlier this week I got a call from a Conservation officer from the DNR wanting to inspect our Redbird. Apparently they need to verify that it is indeed home built rather than a transfer of a commercially manufactured boat where the prior paperwork had been lost. I told him to stop by any time (and do some sanding while he was there). He couldn't explain why HQ had sent out the registration Title and sticker before the inspection....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
jfranck

Hull identification number

Post by jfranck »

I just received my title and registration from Illinois. It took 3 requests - they kept asking for a title.

What's the best way to affix the HIN to the hull? I could burn it in or attach a plate I suppose.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I think the best way to affix the HIN to the hull is to put it on the hull before you glass. You can print it on a thin plastic or paper strip and include it in the glassing process (under the glass). If you've already glassed this obviously wont' work. I wasn't smart enough to think of this before we glassed so we had it etched on a small brass plate and simply epoxied it on. You are required to have the HIN on the hull in 2 places. One relatively hidden (bottom of a seat frame or bottom deck) and once with a certain distance from the stern (I don't recall the specific side but I think it's starboard).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com