Hurricane Katrina

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Bud

Hurricane Katrina

Post by Bud »

Just wanted to remind everyone to say a prayer for the people in the path of Katrina, especially in New Orleans. It looks like they are really going to get it. I know we also have some canoe builders in that area. We hope everyone gets to safety.
Bud
"Canoes don't tip. People just fall out of them!" Omer Stringer
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Thanks, Bud. It is surely a disaster of epic proportions. Will take the city and surroundings years to recover. Although I'm In NC/HI now, I grew up in New Orleans and all my immediate family is still there. Almost everybody got out before the storm hit, so no loss of life, but looks like homes and businesses may all be total losses. My wife's sister stayed in a small town 60 miles NE of New Orleans. We haven't heard from her yet, but damage blogs are reporting only lots of trees down, no flooding. We're assuming they're all right, but will feel better when we hear from them. I'll be going down as soon as they let folks back in to bring generators, chainsaws, other tools, gasoline/water, and whatever else they need for the cleanup. Just another thing to remind me what a minute problem the canoe damage was.
A hui ho,
Kent
Bud

Post by Bud »

Hey Kent, when are we going to see some pics of the new and improved outrigger?
Hope all turns out well with your family.
Bud
"Canoes don't tip. People just fall out of them!" Omer Stringer
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Many years ago I went to work in Louisiana and I arrived just after a major storm. There was devastation everywhere. My thoughts are with everyone affected directly and indirectly.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Thanks again, Bud & Glen, We finally heard from my sister in law, and they're OK, so all family is at least safe. It'll be a long time before things get anywhere close to normal down there. I'll probably be going down there in a couple of weeks to take generator, cleaning supplies, sat phone, and ??? Got my plate pretty full now, Bud, pics when I get time. I've had it out on the lake a few times paddlin, but no wind for weeks. It's got a LOT of rocker for surfing, so it's hard to keep it going in a straight line, especially with the single outrigger on, but I'm getting better with my technique each time I go out. Paddled about 3 miles the other day (as the crow flies...maybe 5 miles with the zig zag I was making). Found a guy out of W. Va. who trucks small boats for a plastic kayak company and Old Town canoes who has a semi with racks along the walls for canoes and kayaks. He'll be going out west in Nov with a load of NC Christmas trees when I'll be wanting to ship and says he can take it out there for $450 plus ? fuel surcharge. I'm feeling pretty good about getting this one to HI safe and sound.
A hui ho,
Kent