Jay Morrison -8,000kms

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Doug

Jay Morrison -8,000kms

Post by Doug »

May be of interest.

http://www.cpaws.org./canoe/

To fulfill a long-held personal dream, and in support of CPAWS' work to conserve Canada's great Boreal wilderness forests and rivers, Jay Morrison is attempting to become the first person to paddle solo across Canada from the Atlantic to the Arctic Ocean in a single year. He'll be paddling and carrying his canoe and gear every step of the historic trade routes established by the Aboriginal peoples and later used by European explorers and fur traders.

Jay's amazing expedition will cover a distance of more than 8,000 kilometres starting in the ocean tides of the Gulf of St. Lawrence at Les Escoumins, Quebec, following the vast Boreal forest that stretches across much of northern Canada, and finishing where the Mackenzie River flows into the Beaufort Sea near Inuvik in the Northwest Territories.
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

He has an RSS feed on his journal, so it's easy to keep up with him if you're into RSS feeds, which you should be!

Also, if you want to read about some of the techniques that he uses to build his canoes, there is an article on nessmuking written by him. I hope I can meet up with him this summer as he nears the west side of Superior.