The Yukon Quest.

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Danny Turner

The Yukon Quest.

Post by Danny Turner »

Can anyone tell me if they or anyone they know has taken part in the Yukon Quest ? And did they use a cedar strip to complete the course.
I have contacted the info for the Quest and they replied that if I choose to use a cedar strip, provided it came within their specs. it would be OK.
My twin brother and I are toying with the idea of entering.With the canoe I make and have transported over. Big ambition, big money expenditure, but what an accomplishment. What a buzz.
Am I mad?

Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
KenC

Post by KenC »

You're not mad. I've spent a few weeks in the Yukon over the past few years, and I've been bitten by the Yukon River Quest bug. Not sure when I'll get around to doing it, but its very high on my "to-do" list.

No reason not to use a stripper, although the shipping logistics would be interesting from N. Ireland. There's really only one set of rapids on the entire 750 km route ... mostly a toboggan run. I imagine the specs they refer to is their prohibition on racing boats ... only stock commercial boats allowed, I believe.

If you're interested in a guidebook for that segment of river, check out "Yukon River, Marsh Lake to Dawson City", by Mike Rourke ... available from www.yukonbooks.com ... its very detailed.

Bring lots of DEET ... as you said, what a buzzzzzzzz.....
Danny Turner

Yukon Quest

Post by Danny Turner »

Thanks Ken, I`ll have a look this book.----- Are the mozzies that bad then?
I camped in Algonquin park a few years back and they were a real pest.
Would like to hear of your experiences on the Yokon.
Getting the outer stems on my canoe shaped and flaired. A goood deal of work to do yet but I`ll get there. Thanks again.

Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Danny, I hope they provided you with the specs that your canoe must meet. According to their website the list is complete for this year, Were you planning on participating this year or next year?

I think you have to keep rocks in the canoe so the mosquitoes don't carry you off. :laughing

Yukon River Quest: http://www.yukonriverquest.com/
Danny Turner

Yukon Quest

Post by Danny Turner »

I was thinking about entering next years Quest. That should give me time to get sponsorship etc. in place.
Ken related to the task involved in getting everything over from Ireland to the Yukon. It`s not going to be cheap. I`ve a neice who works for the BBC and through her hope to interest them in a good story of two Irish guys, one in Ireland, one in Toronto who have a mad dream to do something totall rememberable, outlandish and to be proud of.
So why not. Ok so I`m 52, but a fit 52 ( I would need to be). But this is the thing dreams are made of. But what a dream. Sod the mossies, I`ll wear an armour suit.
Thanks for your reply guys.

Danny
KenC

Post by KenC »

Danny - my time in the Yukon was unfortunately spent working - not paddling.

The mosquitoes can be bad, depending on where you are. I saw very few, actually, at the spots I was working, but friends have told me of the fierce variety that rule some sections of the river. They are bigger, but probably no more aggressive than in many parts of Ontario.

Have a great race, if you decide to go for it.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Matty Griffith and Martin Bernardin of Kisseynew Canoe Company built a strip voyageur canoe last winter. (I think the design was a modified version of one of the canoes in Canoecraft, stretched to 25' or so.) Last summer they raced it in the Saskatchewan Centennial Canoe Quest and the boat performed very well on the Churchill River. This year Martin is taking the boat up to the Yukon and is racing it in the Yukon Canoe Quest.
Good luck if you go.
Cheers,
Bryan