What to do with leftover strips...

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Yaa,
It's getting that way...
I'll be glad after the opening day of the event.
This is my first taste of doing something like this and it seems like this last month leading up to it, could easily be a full time job.
I think it must get easier with time and experience... We atended Grant's 13th Gathering of the Tears at Shasta a couple of months back and he seemed pretty laid back...

Speaking of Tears... Didn't mean to hijack your thread Dave...
I must say, those have to be the nicest fenders I've seen! :applause
georgeandpat

Post by georgeandpat »

Juneaudave, Those are pretty creative (and well made from the looks of it). Most TD builders don't build their own fenders for some reason but it is an excellent way to make one's teardrop truly unique. George.
pwstndrf

Fender Const.

Post by pwstndrf »

Juneaudave, the fenders are awesome!

I have just built a flat bed trailer and need fenders. Was going to buy some ugly sheetmetal ones. I just changed my mind! :smile

So, are the sides cedar, plywood or something else? I expect they are "glassed inside and out too?
It looks, to me, they are fixed to the sides of the trailer not the axle, eh?
What did you use for the "mold"?
Please reply, I am excited about building a pair.
garypete

EUREKA!

Post by garypete »

Dave,
The camper fenders look great, and are exactly what I need for the 4-canoe trailer I'm finishing out of marine mahogany plywood.

The trailer has a 15"-high storage compartment beneath the canoe racks that is sheathed in the plywood. I'm at the stage to add fenders, and I was going to just go buy pre-formed metal fenders, spray paint them, and bolt the ugly things onto the plywood. Then I saw your picture and Bear Mountain post, and EUREKA! Stripper fenders will replace the metal ones!

Incidentally, I'm spraying the wood on the trailer with three coats of automotive clear coat. It's a 2-part urethane PPG product that's reputed to be nearly bulletproof and will outlast spar varnish 10-1 on outdoor projects at about the same cost. It also stays flexible and builds up a film much faster than multiple spar-varnish coats, as there are no aromatic carriers to evaporate. What you spray is what you get, with no loss of thickness from evaporation. Three coats can be applied with an HVLP gun in about 30 minutes total, planning for about 10 minutes for each coat to "flash dry." The final UV resistance is many times superior to five coats of even the best spar varnish. It ain't tradition, but it sure works better.

I'm hearing from builders who have been using it over epoxy on cedarstrips with great success for years, but afraid to mention it on bulletin boards for fear they'll be ridiculed as tech-weenies who don't respect boatbuilding tradition. You be the judge.

Gary
Rice Lake, WI
When people figure out what's really important in Life, there's gonna be a big shortage of canoes.