Am I a bad parent?

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
georgeandpat

Am I a bad parent?

Post by georgeandpat »

Maybe this belongs in another section but please tell me I'm not the only one here who has dismantled their children's swing set in search of choice redwood lumber for boat building. That sounds pretty sick at first but I think my reasoning is sound.
1. The swing set was fairly old, weathered, and becoming an eyesore.
2. The youngest child is 10 and is more interested in other things now.
3. I need wood- lots of it.
4. I think it would be pretty cool for the kids to be paddling part of their childhood someday.
5. It's like recycling isn't it?
George.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

They may report you for being a bad parent today but will thank you later. :applause
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

G&P

I would do the same thing in a heartbeat! When I visited the college my daughter is going to, I found myself mentally taking apart the cedar benches on the college quad because of the beautiful clear cedar boards.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

You know, you donated the sperm, so it's about time they pay you back. That swing set should make the deal about even.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :laughing
georgeandpat

Post by georgeandpat »

Joking aside, today I cut up some of the redwood not really expecting much. The outside of the wood was dark brown with a rough texture and several long splits in it. The inside, however, looked surprisingly good- like a medium steak and pretty solid. The splits that looked so bad on the outside only went down about a half inch (these are 4 x 4s). My biggest concern now are the numerous holes in the wood from the swingset hardware but I still think that I may get a few good 10 foot strips out of this and several shorter ones. :smile
Chuey

used wood

Post by Chuey »

Hi georgeandpat, When using wood with holes, you can put a plug in the holes and/or mix some epoxy and sawdust. I have used some used redwood in my canoes and some have stains from nail holes. It has a kind of reverse elegance that sets the canoe apart. Anyone who likes wood can't help but think the second life of the wood adds its own dimension.

Chuey