Yak-Rak

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mtpocket

Yak-Rak

Post by mtpocket »

I've had to come up with a new solution for hauling boats because I will be hauling them and pulling my camper. I made it in two pieces, one that is to sit on the bed rails of my truck and one that will fit into the hitch. I built a new hitch for the front also because I will have to shift the boats forward during the time the camper is hitched to the truck. Here are some photos that better describes what I am talking about.

This photo shows the Yak-Rak in the front hitch.

This photo shows the same thing but also the piece that sits on the bed rails.

This photo shows the rear portion of the Yak-Rak.

This photo shows the arrangement when I don't have the camper hooked up and just want to haul boats. The same piece that fits into the front hitch fits into the rear hitch.

I haven't tried hauling or loading any boats on this yet so I can't answer many questions about it's use. I built this out of 2" square tubing with 1/8" wall thickness. It is heavy but it's also very strong. Strength was more important to me. I didn't want to lose any boats on the highway while traveling at 70 mph. Anyone in Peterborough wanting a closer look will have an opportunity. This is the system I will be using. I will look like a traveling circus with two boats and a camper but who cares what we look like when were on our way to having fun.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Well MT,
Looking at your house and slick ride, it's no wonder your pockets are empty! :laughing

That looks like a nice setup, have you had a chance to use it yet? Welding is about the only skill I haven't gotten to yet. When the finances clear up a little, I'm looking forward to getting a plasma cutter and arc welder at an acution here in MT. Maybe I can weld a strip steel canoe!

Anyway, nice looking design, hope it works well for you.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

canoeblderinmt,

Sorry it took me so long to answer your post. My internet has been out for most of a month and I simply didn't see it.

I have been able to use the rack. I hauled two boats, my Redbird and my kayak to Peterborough in August. It's about 800 miles one way from home so I got a good idea how it will handle but I also got some ideas of modifications I needed to make. The trip up to Canada was uneventful for the most part but I noticed the rack whipping side to side when I pulled up behind a semi-truck. Temporarily this was fixed by using ratchet straps in an "X", upper right side of the rack to lower left side of truck and upper left side of rack to lower right side of truck. My truck has big tow hooks sticking out of the bumper that I attached to on the lower points. This did stop the whipping.

Upon my return, I made a small bracket that attaches to the upright portion of the rack and I use turn buckles to hold the rack steady. This is a much quicker and much stronger setup. I have used it twice now and had no problems either time.

While hauling the kayak I have to use a cradle. The kayak is 15'5" long and there is about 14' between the front portion of the rack and the rear portion. The cradle is the next upgrade. I just threw something together quickly and it is heavy and not very strong. It's made of plywood. My next cradle will be made of aluminum.

You're right about those things being part of the reason my pockets are always empty. It's not the only reason though. I have a wife and kids.