Chris Glad -- website: Skin on frame kayak

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ncglad

Chris Glad -- website: Skin on frame kayak

Post by ncglad »

I added my latest boat project, a skin on frame Greenland style kayak to my website, plus pictures from some paddling trips.

http://www.pdxtex.com/canoe

Enjoy!
Chris
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Hi Chris

A very nice helpful site. When I was building the Freedom 17 I must have looked at your

photos at least 100 times. A great help.

I will soon be starting to build the Ginnyak, a skin on frame design from Brian Schulz at

capefalconkayak.com.

I don't think that I could sit too long in a kayak either but like yourself I will be able to get

quickly onto the water solo. Good luck with the Kayak

Roscoe
ncglad

Post by ncglad »

Hi Roscoe,
Are you planning to kneel instead of sitting? If so, here are a few things I've learned so far:

24' beam is pretty minimal for kneeling paddling position-- next time, I'd go for 26" (remember, that translates to only about 20" at the waterline)

I'd also raise the shear height a little -- right now the rear deck is at the same level as my seat. I'd like to feel more like I was sitting IN the boat rather than On it.

Think about where you'll be attaching your pedestal -- I'm having a heck of a time figuring out where to fasten mine. Ribs? Keel? Stringers? and with what. Hmmmm....?

Test your cockpit size. It needs to be as long as your lower leg and foot in order to get in while in balance on the water. (at least that's how I do it)

If you're going to be sitting and not kneeling -- forget everything I just said.

Best of luck!
Chris
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

I have to say that I also have spent much time looking at your site . When I first decided to build, I had one of your canoe pictures as my screen background for inspiration...
ncglad

Post by ncglad »

Hi Eric,
Thank you for your kind words -- I've enjoy the feedback from the website nearly as much as building the boat. I took a break from building, but the kayak has rekindled my interest. How did your boat come out?
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Hi Chris

No. I'm not planning on kneeling in a kayak. I had two evening sessions a month ago

paddling a plastic sea kayak. I found myself lying back a bit when I got tired. It's about 10

years since I was in a kayak so it was lack of fitness. Hopefully when I get this kayak on

the water things will get better. Too many birthdays but I hope they keep coming.

Roscoe