I Suddenly Have More Time for Boatbuilding

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
pawistik

I Suddenly Have More Time for Boatbuilding

Post by pawistik »

Well the day has come - my layoff is now official. The small research company I worked for was evicted from their local lab space (conflict of interest having us in the building or something) so they closed down the Saskatoon lab rather than relocating. I was the only employee here (the company is in Vancouver) so the costs of relocating for just one technician were too much.

Oh well. My wife has a long list of things for me to finish/fix around the house and she even suggested that I take a week and just work on finishing off her boat (selfless isn't she?). My wife works part-time shift-work so she can make up much of the $$ without too much trouble. In the meantime I'm off to the local campus to drop off a resume in application for another biology technician job (grizzly bear work has a certain amount of cache to it don't you think?).

Cheers,
Bryan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Good luck Bryan and enjoy the free time while it lasts.
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Bryan, major life changes can suck, I can't thing of a better way spend your time, BUILDING BOATS.
Good Luck
Ron McElroy
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Apply for a new job? Are you kidding? Milk it while. Kick back.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Bryan Hansel wrote:Apply for a new job? Are you kidding? Milk it while. Kick back.
Good advice Bryan, that's sort of what my wife was saying, except isntead of "kick back" it was "finish the renos, paint the hall & install the baseboards". However I went and ended up being offered and accepting the second job I applied for, the first one I interviewed for. It became official yesterday. I start January 2nd which is way too soon for my liking. Monday evening at supper I was discussing with my wife that I thought perhaps I'd head off for a few days to do some winter camping, maybe xc ski into Nistowiak Falls on the Churchill River. She pointed out that I was going back to work in 2 weeks and that time was fully booked with various family christmas related commitments. :sad Maybe I'll be able to get away for a weekend; perhaps just head out from the city and ski on the river either N or S for the day, make camp, then ski home again. That plan has the advantage of not losing 3 hours or more each day to driving.

On a related note, I mentioned to my new boss during the initial interview that my pastimes include paddling and boatbuilding. He answered "hey I built a skin-on-frame kayak when I was younger". Then yesterday when we met again so he could give me the letter of offer I mentioned that I disappointed that I didn't have sufficient time to go do some winter camping (I haven't done so in years). Turns out he winter camps too (albeit in the warmer climes of the BC mountains rather than the prairie deep-freeze). It's not too often that I run into someone else who is willing to head out into the bush in the depth of winter. I think I might just be able to get along with the new boss.

I did manage to get a fair bit of progress made on the boat over the last few weeks and the final tasks to finish it off don't seem quite as overwhelming any more.

Cheers,
Bryan