Kayaking

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mvettori

Kayaking

Post by mvettori »

I have a couple of newbie questions about kayaking. I finished my Bob's Special last summer and I'm having the best time taking it out with my kids on day trips. I still get he biggest smile hearing all the comments from people as I paddle by! :smile Many thanks gain to all those who answered my questions in past postings.

...but I'm starting to get the bug to do another project, and now I'd like to try a kayak. I have bought Kayak Craft and Nick Shade's book and I'm in the process of reading them both. I think I've settled on the Endeavor 17 for the design.

Having never kayak'ed before, there are some basic things I'd like to know:
1) I hear people talk about "rolling" a kayak as a normal process. Is this something critical to learn before you take the kayak out?
2) Why you want to "roll" a kayak in the first place? What is its purpose?
3) If I should flip the kayak while paddling, how easy is it to get out of while under water? (i.e., Is there any risk of getting stuck while its flipped?)

I know these are basic questions, but if I never ask, I'll never know.

Mike in Collegeville
WestCoastPaddler

Re: Kayaking

Post by WestCoastPaddler »

mvettori wrote:...but I'm starting to get the bug to do another project, and now I'd like to try a kayak. I have bought Kayak Craft and Nick Shade's book and I'm in the process of reading them both. I think I've settled on the Endeavor 17 for the design.
I have a couple of friends who have built Endeavors and they are very pleased with them.
Having never kayak'ed before, there are some basic things I'd like to know:
1) I hear people talk about "rolling" a kayak as a normal process. Is this something critical to learn before you take the kayak out?
No. Most people never get into a situation where they need to roll -- especially if rough conditions are avoided. Take some lessons (they're the best accessory you'll ever buy) and learn how to brace properly -- I'd say that 99% of the time, good bracing skills will eliminate any need to capsize. If you are venturing out in really rough waters, then rolling is something that would be useful (and possibly essential) to learn.

Rolling eliminates the need to exit the boat during a capsize. In the somewhat cold waters of BC rolling can be an essential skill if you're venturing out into nasty paddling conditions. Looking at it from the perspective of how much time you'll spend in the water, a roll will put you back upright within seconds and you're on your way happily paddling along -- if you have to wet exit, you'll be out of the boat for a minimum of a couple of minutes or more, the entire time exposed to cold water that is sucking the heat from your body. Rolling also eliminates the need to do a paddle float (or other type of re-entry) rescue and then having to pump the cockpit clear of water. Rolling also takes a lot less energy than a paddle float rescue. In a nutshell, rolling minimizes the exposure to cold water conditions.

Rolling can also be useful for cooling off on a hot summer day.

3) If I should flip the kayak while paddling, how easy is it to get out of while under water? (i.e., Is there any risk of getting stuck while its flipped?)
I'm a strong advocate of keeping cockpits free of gear and other stuff that you might get caught up on while trying to evacuate the boat -- never store stuff loose in your cockpit and make sure that anything stored in your cockpit is secure and won't inhibit you from exiting. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to get out of the cockpit in the event of a capsize -- simply reach up, pull your spray skirt tab and swim out of the boat -- it actually comes quite naturally.
Mike these are basic questions to someone who knows -- but there's never any harm in asking. As I mention above, I'd strongly suggest taking some lessons. Not only will you learn what to do in the event that something should go wrong, but you'll also learn to paddle your boat more efficiently and in a safe manner -- which makes the experience much more enjoyable.
Last edited by WestCoastPaddler on Fri May 18, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

My Enterprise build is documented at http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/buildin ... p?album=15
My daughter's Magic build is here: http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/buildin ... p?album=17
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Mike that's some good advice Dan has posted. I know I had paddled canoes many times but I was nervous about a kayak. Once I paddled one I found them very stable and a joy to paddle. I have got an 18 foot kayak so I took some lessons from a local outfitter most of it was pretty basic stuff but I did learn a more effiecent way to turn and wet entry If I ever did roll. The outfitter could not do a roll either but with using good judgment on weather and water conditions hopefully the need to learn the roll is not high on my priority list. I have never upset my kayak, not to say it won't happen, but with a paddle float and some practice I can get in my yak pretty easy in deep water.
Maybe Dan will come to Nebraska and give lessons :laughing

Ronmc1954
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

Thanks for the reply. That's good advice. I'll keep my eyes open for anyone out here offering kayak lessons.

Mike
Bryan Hansel

Re: Kayaking

Post by Bryan Hansel »

mvettori wrote: Having never kayak'ed before, there are some basic things I'd like to know:

Mike in Collegeville
1. Depends on the type of kayaking that you want to do. In whitewater, yes, rolling is essential. Although, I've swam in whitewater and plenty of other have too. On calm lakes, you're probably never going to tip unless you're pushing skills. It's not a bad idea to learn. And it's an easy skill to learn, but hard to remember to use until you do your first "combat" roll..
2. You roll to stay in the boat to be able to get your next breath of air. By rolling after you flip, you also place your friends or other kayakers around you in less of a risk, because if you come out of your kayak, they are the ones that have to rescue you.
3. It's easy to get out of kayaks, but there is no way to completely eliminate the risk of entrapment. It's best to learn a wet exit from someone that knows how to do it. It take all of 15 minutes to learn.

If you want to come to MN, I teach kayaking. Might be a long drive for you to come and paddle in the cold Lake Superior. :) You should be able to find a local instructor via the ACA (American Canoe Association).