Georgian Bay Trip Report

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Bryan Hansel

Georgian Bay Trip Report

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I did a nice trip on Georgian Bay this spring with my cedar strip kayak. The goal for the trip was the Bustard Rock Lighthouse.

We started in Bynet Inlet and paddled just to the north of Dead Island on day one. Day two and half of day three we were wind bound in sustained 35 knot winds gusting higher. We broke camp at 3pm on day three and dashed to the Bustard Islands. On day four, we had to haul to get back, so we did a four mile crossing, which was my friend's, Steve, first crossing of that size. Over the four days, we paddled about 50 miles.

That area of Georgian Bay is absolutely heaven for paddling. The islands are all rock and just rise slightly above the water. There wasn't much point to knowing exactly were we were until there was a critical turning point. It was all about taking a compass reading and sort of following that heading as we weaved in and out of islands. There was too much to explore! I'd love to go back and take a full week or two to explore the area.

This should be a must on everyone's short list of locations to go kayaking.

More Pictures

pawistik

Re: Georgian Bay Trip Report

Post by pawistik »

Thanks for the trip report Bryan. Looks like a wonderful place.
Bryan Hansel wrote:This should be a must on everyone's short list of locations to go kayaking.
Short list? Who the heck has a short list?

My list of places to paddle is pretty extensive. Of course Georgian Bay is on the list, but so is the north shore of Lake Superior and various points out east, Desolation Sound, the Broken Group and Johnstone Straight out west, and Lac LaRonge in my own back yard. That's just the kayak paddling list. The canoe trip list is much longer.

Cheers,
Bryan[/b]
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Nice report and great pics Bryan. Thanks for sharing.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Beautiful craft,
Beautiful waters,
Beautiful photographs.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Thanks, everyone.

Bryan, by short list I mean places I'm planning on paddling in the next two years. My list is huge also, and just gets bigger. :)
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Oh I know Bryan. I was just being pseudo cranky & trying to be funny. So many places so little time. Our trip planned to start a week from now fell through this week so now our 4 person fly-in is a 2 person drive in. We're still trying to decide where to go. In the meantime I'm drying anything that isn't moving and getting maps on spec. We've got it narrowed to a couple of options, but haven't settled on whether to change the dates or not.
Cheers,
Bryan
Rick

Post by Rick »

Great report and photos, Bryan... I never get tired of Georgian Bay and the 30,000 islands... it's in my return-to plans as well. The area was named one of the best ten places in the world to go boating is a magazine several years ago.