I need a 'how to' book on canoeing

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
rodent

I need a 'how to' book on canoeing

Post by rodent »

I am new to canoeing and canoe building. I have CanoeCraft, but I also need a book on the 'how to's' of canoeing. I have read 'The Complete Book of Canoeing' by Herbert Gordon, and enjoyed it very much. But it was not my copy and I had to give it back.

Anybody out there have other books they reccomend?

Thanks,

rodent
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

A couple of my all-time favourite books, both by the legendary late Bill Mason:
Path of the Paddle Image
Song of the PaddleImage
The first one listed is more specific on "how to canoe" while the second is broader, covering canoe camping in general. There is also a Path of the Paddle video which I highly recommend. 30 years old but still wonderful.

Bill's kids have contributed some good work of their own to the list. Becky Mason's video, Classic Solo Canoeing is supposed to be very good, but I have not seen it. Once you are venturing into whitewater, Thrill of the Paddle by Paul Mason and Mark Scriver is one I enjoy.

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Gary & Joanie McGuffin is another favourite from my library. It is well illustrated and beautifully adorned throughout with the McGuffin's photography. This book has nearly enough photographs to be considered a "coffee table book."

That should get you started! There are others of course. The only one I can say don't waste your time with is "The Basic Essentials of Canoeing." It's barely a booklet and isn't worth the price, even if it is cheap.

Cheers,
Bryan
duncan

Post by duncan »

The Bill Mason books are worth every penny. It is also helpful to take an accredited course. Beginner courses may be only a day or two but will give you a lot to work on. Having the books for reference will help you to stay on track months and years later.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Anything by Cliff Jacobson.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Cannot recommend strongly enough the Bill Mason DVD. Books go so far, but seeing the strokes being performed and the effects in the water show far more.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."