Removing rust from my Table Saw top

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mvettori

Removing rust from my Table Saw top

Post by mvettori »

My table saw is developing quite a bit of rust on the table surface. Can anyone recommend a good way to remove the rust and get a coat of poilish on it?

Thanks,
Mike
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Mike,
I love these rust erasers from Sandflex:

http://www.theruststore.com/Sandflex-Ru ... P11C7.aspx

It takes a little elbow grease, but it's a one time expenditure. After you get a nice shiny surface, get some Johnson's Paste Wax at Walmart and have at it. You will have a nice, slick surface that will not affect your wood. Touch up once every couple of weeks if you use your saw a lot.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

Thanks Greg. Many articles I'm reading on the internet recommnend using WD-40 as a cleaning agent. Doesn't that contain silicone and shouldn't be used?

Mike
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Yes it does. I DO NOT RECOMMEND using WD 40 for that purpose. Stick to Paste Wax or Camellia oil.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
MACK

Post by MACK »

I've always used a product called bowling alley wax on my cast iron and tool beds. Not only does it prevent rust it also helps everything to slide better. I even use it on the stainless steel deck of my delta plainer. Makes everything preform just a little better.
Mack
Doug

Post by Doug »

Might want to look nto this stuff.
Bostik -topcoat
http://www.bostik-us.com/products/index ... egoryId=50

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM