Great Redwood score today

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Bladeforger

Great Redwood score today

Post by Bladeforger »

Well, one of several projects I have to complete before starting the canoe (Gotta keep the boss happy. :big grin ) is to finish the bathroom remodel, which has been waiting for the medicine cabinet and towel cabinets, among other things. So, after reading all about strip-built construction, and wanting to practice a little on something else, I decided to make the medicine cabinet out of cedar strips. I'm pretty excited about the whole strip-built process and the idea of being able to have something that is rounded on the side corners and not just a square box.

So, today, I went to the "real" lumber store in town and bought some cedar. (That stuff is expensive!) While I was there, I asked if they had any redwood--intending to buy a board or two for contrast. What they had was some redwood that was left over from a special order. I can't tell if it's B grade or STK, but about half the boards are mostly, or all, heartwood. Those have darn few knots. They are 12-foot 1x4s.

The guy at the counter told me he'd make me a good deal :twisted evil , so I bought 20 of them. The good deal? $2 per board. That's right. 20 12-foot boards for 40 bucks. I think I did good.:cool

If anyone's interested, the store is in St. Petersburg. Cox Lumber. (They don't have many left; I bought most of them.)

I would have bought all of them, but storage space is at a premium right now.

Keith