Bowron Lakes

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Martin

Bowron Lakes

Post by Martin »

Has any one here taken their cedar strip on the Bowron circuit? I'm planning this trip for next year but I certainly don't want to sctatch the crap out of my boat on the rivers.

Thanks, Martin
KenC

Post by KenC »

I've done the Bowron circuit, but not in a stripper. Still, I can't imagine that you'd do any damage. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a stripper in there.

We went in early June, about a decade ago. I understand it can get quite crowded in July and August, with the camping restricted to designated sites, but in early June we had a campsite to ourselves every night.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Some of the folks over at Westcoastpaddler.com take their wood boats to the Bowron circuit. They have used kayaks, which are harder to get in and out of without touching bottom. Check out their trip reports and the forums for more info.

I don't know exactly what the Bowron Lakes are like, but I've used my cedar strip kayak in Northern Saskatchewan shield (rocks, rocks, and more rocks - some smooth, some jagged) without any major issues. Sure I've got some scratches in the varnish but so what.

Cheers,
Bryan
Rick in Pender Harbour

cedar strip on Bowron

Post by Rick in Pender Harbour »

Hi Martin
My wife and I have paddled the Bowron lake chain several times, mostly in our Wee Lassie solo canoes. You can go to www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/outings/bowron/lakes.htm for a trip account, Or if you have any questions just e-mail me. If you are wiling to get your feet wet there should be no reason to damage your boats on the lakes or rivers. I did damage my boat a bit when it fell off the portage wheels on the trail. Nothing serious, just a little scar on the gunwhale. The chain is a great trip, and there is nothing so good as doing it in your own handmade boat. Actually my wife is paddleing on the lakes with some friends this week, (in their fiberglass canoes though).

best rgds

Rick
Martin

Bowron

Post by Martin »

Thanks for the tips guys. The more I use my boat the more I'm getting over dammaging my canoe. Last week my son and I did 4 days on Maligne Lk and the shore was full of sharp rocks and added to the sratches. We are committed to the Bowron next year and by then it will be 4 years old and probably time for some new varnish anyway.

Cheers and keep your paddle wet!

Martin